Side hop vs. "not sure what to call it"... (?)

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by maciekzw, Apr 11, 2004.

1. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Hey guys,

I can side hop onto stuff not too badly. Not very high, but I can do it. Ya.

Is it easier to bounce on the back wheel and then try to up on something?

Or is it easier, for beginners, just to stick with side hops?

Check out my short video. I can't do the back wheel bounce yet. I can do small pedal hops. Don't have the hight yet.

Any recommendations?

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/bike-trials/maciek_side_hop.avi

2. Elan

Elan steve french

the reason people do the bouncey one is because it is easier. it would be impossible to side hop 4' not using this technique. but if yo udont have pedal kicks dialed yet, you will have a hard time doing this sidehop.

try it out, dont convice yourself that it isnt for beginners.

3. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

well, both of the techniques you mentioned would be considered sidehops in my book. i guess it's just really personal preffferance. i know that canadians do a lot of 'both wheels' sidehops (i guess it's more of a street style?), but the euro guys do a lot of hops before. that's not to say that no canadian can do the hopping method (it's a generalization i konw).
    in any case, i find the both wheels method is possibly more accurate for small stuff (IE-if i was to sidehop up a little parking block about 4 inches tall, i would go from both wheels). the hopping way would maybe give more height? it seems easier to get higher because your front wheel is already say, 20" high when you're on backwheel (or higher perhaps).
    for me i still have troubles with sidehops, because right before i sidehop i get too close to the obstacle and hit my front wheel on it, darf.
    i hope this post somehwat explained your question, i do realize im ranting on nothing here.

4. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

In a related train of though:

If you are having trouble pedal kicking, and can sidehop from both wheels fairly well, try learning how to hop to your bad side (EG: if your chocolate foot is right, try hopping to the left) this will save you a lot of anguish at having to relearn a side when you do get good enough to sidehop the rear wheel way.

5. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

I can pedal hop a little bit. Getting better and better at it. I'm working on bouncing in one spot now. I could bounce in one spot for avarage of 20-30 seconds. What I'm wondering is how do you actually pull that move off? Once you're on your back wheel bouncing do you do small pedal kick and lift on your handle bars? Or no pedal kicking, but just lifting your bike straight up. I can do small pedal hops up curbs. Am I long ways from doing something lets say, double the size? Triple the size?

6. Elan

Elan steve french

to do the move in question, its a lot liek a gap. youget up on rear, crouch down, get the front tire low to the ground and then spring up with your body and a pedal kick and bring the bike over. watch just about any vid and you will see one. i recommend FTC3. do a search for that

7. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

1-do, from both wheels, a pedal kick that will get you up to rear wheel and moves you forward about 1/2 bikelength
    2-hop if neccessary
    3-preload (butt down low etc, not necceseary for super small stuff but a step not to be missed for bigger schtuff)
    4-hop up and move front wheel to side
    5-get front wheel on obstacle and modulate back brake so that your back wheel swings over and lands on obstacle

that's it pretty much broken down, im not too great at them so don't take everything i say too heart, but it's a general guideline. keep practicing them, i haven't gotten them dialed yet

Note-the person to ask, who is the master at sidehops, would be grahm, owner of tryall america. he does some CRAZY huge sidehops.

8. Elan

Elan steve french

graham has a good ssection in FTC3...

9. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

A big part of the reason why some riders sidehop from rear vs. from both is the bike they are on. When my Zebdi had a suspension fork and a 90mm long stem on it, sidehopping from both felt better. This was the set up I was using just a couple months ago, but now with my old Brisa bar and stem on there the longer cockpit feels better sidehopping from rear. A long bike like a koxx (I assume) must almost be necesary to sidehop from rear. It is much more comfortable and allows you to get that front tire a bit higher and just swing right onto the ledge or whatever...wow bigger ramble...

10. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

Thats what I think. With the front wheel alot higher you only need to go that much higher to get it on the object.

11. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Wow, sounds crazy :eek: I'll try it tho. I'll have to work on my bouncing little bit more just so I can acutally stay up for a bit before I actually try to hop up onto something.