Shoulder Pain

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialsbug, Mar 5, 2004.

1. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

I realize that there is already a thread on trials related pains, but I just want comments on a specific pain that I have.

I recently started riding a Pure (long) and Team (long). both bikes have Echo bars. Before this I was riding a Zebdi with a Try-All bar and an X-Lite with the flat Monty bar.

Shortly after I started riding the new bikes I started having a lot of shoulder pain. My guesses are that it is from riding longer bikes which stretches me out and puts more weight on my arms or that the stiffer bar is causing my arms to get jolted harder when I roll down obstacles or gap to front wheel. It is also possible that the difference in the sweep of the Echo bar is causing problems. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Yes. Sorta. It's never hurt enough to be a problem. But after switching to a longer bike i feel my arms get stretched more on ups and stuff like that. Would probably help to stretch your shoulders and do proper wramups before you ride. If this is your problem that is.

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I haven't been able to sleep on my left side for well over a year now, due to my shoulder. It hurts all the time. What do I do about it? Sleep on my back, and just deal with it.

For you I would take a few days off, make sure you are warming and stretching up properly. If it starts to seriously hurt just wait a few days for your muscles/joints to heal or feel better or whatever...then get back on it- hopefully your body will adjust to the newly acquired length in due time.

4. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

i heard the Echo Stem/Bar are stiff as fuck. Maybe thats the problem.
    You could try a shorter echo stem or lower the pressure on the front tire.

5. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

I already run really low pressure in the front. I still have my old Try-All bar on my Zebdi. Maybe I will try it on the Pure.

I probably should start warming up a little better too, but it wasn't an issue before I got the new bikes.

6. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

when i went from thin to wide bars my shoulders gave me a bit of shit, but it came right after a few weeks. i dont know how wide your bars were before/after, but just throwing a suggestion in there...

7. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

I changed from a Try-All bar to an Echo bar, so the width is about the same. I rode today with the Try-All bar to see if the flexxier bar would help, but it didn't.

I am pretty sure that the problem is a combination of the long bikes and my riding style. Since I started riding the long bikes I have been rolling down more obstacles and gapping to front wheel. My arms already have more weight on them with these long bikes, but when you add in all the front wheel stuff it seems to be more then my shoulders can handle. I separated one shoulder last year, but this pain is just as bad in that shoulder as it is in the "good" shoulder.

I also noticed that I have to extend my arms more when I go to rear wheel or throw the bike forward with the long bikes, so extending my arms this far could be contributing to the pain also.

Maybe I need to try a higher rise stem next to see if that puts a little less weight on my arms. Right now I am using a 90x10.

8. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Where are you shoulder hurting? I had severe pains slightly above the shoulder plate. I found a nice way to strech the muscles there. Just extend your arm forward and then sort of try to make the arm separate from the shoulder by sort of pushing it (arm) away. It sounds weird but if you give it a shot you will see what I mean.

9. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

Thanks for the tip RomanC. In PT they did some similar exercises to loosen up my shoulder and reduce the inflamation. Maybe if I do the stretch that you mention and some of my other stretches I will be able to reduce the pain.

The stretch that I learned in PT that would be similar to yours may work a little better. Instead of pushing your arm forward, lean over and let your arm dangle. Try to relax your shoulder and move your arm in little circles. It seems to have the same effect as your stretch, but I think relaxing the other muscles in the shoulder area will be beneficial. I will try this stretch and yours to see if they reduce the pain.

10. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

You can also have a lady friend give you a massage :) Hopefully one way or another you'll deal with this pesky issue.

11. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

Sounds like you're hooked up with some PT. That's the first step. It helps alot to strectch before riding. A little R&R with some biking vids helps too. Just force youself to take a solid 2 weeks off and see what happens. I had wrist/shoulder pains as well. I took a good month off and I've been fine ever since. Altough I still suck!

12. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I have to force myself to stop for a day....I dunno if I could do a month.

You'de be surprised how much stretching before and AFTERWARDS gets rid of the tons of soreness.

If you wanna take an "additive" approach, take some Amino Acid and Calcium pills/supplements. Amino acids for your muscles for quick recovery. After a routine week of taking them, you won't be sore the next day after even a HARD ride, cause you're muscles healed quickly cause of the bump in amino acids(building block of protien, which helps muscle recovery).

The calcium supplemtns for your bones and joints. Not as drastic and noticeable as the Amino Acid pills, but you'll notice your joint pain goes down a little.

This was a recommendation from a friend who lifted weights while I was training with him....I used to also do this in High School when I breakdanced.....long sessions didn't have me sore as fuck the next day.....

Bad things about Amino Acid pills...makes your shit REALLY stink.... :ugh: