Shin Massacre

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Ross, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Ross

Ross New Member

I was out riding today and while doing a pedal up, my foot slipped off the pedal causing my shin to become victim. My question is, why is it ALWAYS my left shin that gets killed by the pedal and NEVER the right. I have been riding for a couple of months and my left shin has been hit pretty hard (no stitches) 3 or 4 times. I am left foot forward which I think probably has something to do with it. Have any of you guys had this same problem? Anyway, I ordered a pair of shinguards today so this hopefully will not happen again.

2. giventofly

giventofly I like Hops

physics.
    your front foot slips off, usually at the toe, transferring all of your weight to your back pedal. The cranks come around with your full body weight on them (plus whatever extra pressure you were applying trying to make the move), and slam up into your shin (which is moving down with gravity in the opposide direction of the crank)

shinguards are cool

3. BenR

BenR Active Member

I ride with my left foot forwards too. And usually only hit my left shin, but sometimes my right shin gets destroyed too.

4. Lagerhead

Lagerhead New Member

Because you ride left foot forward.
    If your front foot slips off, all of your weight on the other (back) pedal, causes the cranks to rotate backwards toward your shin.
    If your back foot slips off, the cranks either, don't rotate because you have the brakes locked, or, they rotate forward, away from your shin.

wow, 2 replies in the time it took me to type one.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2004
  5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Yupp.

I ride right foot foreward and have only hit my right shin. Most pedal slips happen on the right too.

6. Sforzando

Sforzando Guest

Yeah that happens to me too. After a month and a bit of riding, my left shin looks so much cooler than my right shin, being left foot forward 'n all. Any right foot riders wanna go halves in a set of shin guards ??? ;)

7. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

heh, i only ever wear one shin guard on the rare occasion that i have acess to some.

8. sharpe

sharpe Guest

don't get shinguards. i hacked my shins up badass and got shinguards. wore them for about 2-3 months and haven't used them in about 1.5 years. big waste.

9. RT Wolf

RT Wolf Insanity Studios Inc.

I got a set of cheap bmx shin guards. I'm right foot forward and only wear the right one, plus I wear jeans everytime I go biking, it's saved my shins at least a few times.

10. cogmog

cogmog Member

soccer shin gaurds with big cool socks:bigthumb:

11. ULTIMATEdanceoff

ULTIMATEdanceoff New Member

i've been riding for a week and i've already experienced this "only left leg damage"

12. RT Wolf

RT Wolf Insanity Studios Inc.

Ultimatedanceoff, this thread is like a year old. Please check the date of the previous post when you're considering posting in a thread you foudn from the search function or just flipping through the pages. Unless you have something profound to add, then you can dig up the very first thread and go nuts.

13. only1fuji

only1fuji Guest

14. TrevorBodogh

TrevorBodogh Banned

Your feet slip off the pedals because your body isn't fully trained yet.. You say you've only been riding for a couple of months.. And that happens to all of us, getting shinned. Imagine this.. The last time I got shinned, about 2 years ago, I was riding my crescent. I was ontop of a 4 foot spool in my back yard, and what I did was on the rear wheel, i did a sidehop type thing to give myself a big drop from the spool, my foot slipped off and raked all the skin off my shin. That was the worst pain I was ever in, and I never went for stitches for some reason.. anyways, extremely boreD at work.. had to post somethin.. wear shin pads for a couple years..

15. ronan_zj

ronan_zj New Member

if ur left leg is in front, then u will hurt ur left shin.
    if ur right leg is in front, then u will hurt ur right shin,

16. Anon.

Anon. Poo face

If it makes you all feel better, I got a fucking heinous simultaneous pedal slap on both legs earlier tonight, one on the knee one just below, learning rocket manuals on my BMX.

Owwy owwy.

17. digby

digby New Member

after a few years of riding, you do stop hitting your shins most of the time, but every now and then you will give yourself a good whack while riding. Now, when I hit my shin on something, I am either:
    a. walking my bike to the car
    b. trying to ride my bike drunk
    c. snapping a chain in half.

Regular riding, not very much, I cant remember the last time I gave myself a good shinner, good thing too, cuz my shins are beat.

18. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

For a long time, a couple of years, I stopped hitting my shin except maybe once every 6 months, and it would always be something dumb. In the past 3 weeks though I've hit my shin 4 times. 26" nose wheelie drop off, front wheel gap to skinny (overshot, got both my shins), and the last one was a week ago nose hopping my friend's bike with vp pedals.

My god i had no idea those things could shred so much, it's ridiculous, and for once i'm feeling super stupid for having had that happen. Big plow marks from the cages, and not just cuts. Wide long patches of skin just gone, or hanging off. Blew me away, i totally underestimated those pedals. At least the sheet metal screws in my pedals make fairly neat, though very deep, incisions. Vp's just plowed like hell.

Anyways, it's just cause my shoes get ruined from my pedals so fast, that the pins have pretty much nothing left to grip and just sit in the sole grooves. I'm throwing my shin pads on as soon as my shins heal enough to allow it, and I'll be running em for a little while.

19. Tris

Tris Guest

So you're advice is Shinguards are a big waste?

Thanks for the advice... but those who want GOOD advice, invest in shinguards.