Sh!tty Bar for trials?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Jun 13, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I'm looking for a bar. Although, the monty STILL hasn't died on me...I'm starting to think it may not really compromise anything, it's for peace of mind.

Anyhow, I was looking at this bar:

[​IMG]

Easton EC70 Monkeylite DH carbon bar
    28" long (710mm)
    225 grams
    8 degree sweep/4 degree upsweep
    Lifetime warranty

Would it be a shit choice for a bar for trials? 28" wide is pretty decent width, but how is the carbon in terms of stiffness, and can it handle the abuse? It'd labeled a DH bar, but really, you think it's stand the abuse? Of course the Easton site says it has extremely good impact resistance, etc.....Retail is $144....but I can get them around half that price, so it's the reason it's an option....

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  2. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Too much rise IMO and it has too much sweep back, I dislike any sweepback for bars.

But if non of that matters to you then it is a stiff bar, well very stiff and very light. I can not tell you on the other hand if it will hold up over time since I have only tried them!!!

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Hmm...yeah, see, I can't find the exact specs on the Monty X lite bar (my green one), but I know the amoeba bars that come on the 04 evolves are the same as the monty riser bars, sweep and rise...but I can't find specs on those either, LOL. So I'm still searching for a damn bar.....wanna make sure I don't make a shit choice with all the choices out there....

4. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

I got a tryall!!! Why not the Tryall, the new one is apparently even stiffer and stronger. Why not this??

5. oicdn

oicdn Guest

That's prolly gonna be end result, but I was just tossing things in the air. They have a 2in rise, like the Monty's, so I wouldn't have to experiment with a new stem rise or length. They're light as well, so that was anohter reason for the toss up....

6. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Well if my knowledge of carbon is correct (though it may not be) it will be very stiff, but very brittle under large amounts of stress. But it is a dh with a lifetime warranty, so if the rise and sweep work for you, I'd say go for it.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

the easton monkeylight carbon dh bar is probably the only bar i would want to use if it werent for try-all or echo bars.

8. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

They were strong enough to hold a harley off the ground for the entie interbike show.I've seen a few good riders use them. But yes you have to roll them waaay forward to get an upward sweep.

9. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

I did hear a lot of guys who used the carbon monkey's that it's easier on their wrist compared to other aluminum bars...