Setting up a SS Pure...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by think, Aug 16, 2004.

1. think

think Guest

Hey,

My local series (in New England), is running combined classes (mod and stock) for the second year now, and my frustrations with stock drivetrains is leading me to convert my 1080 Pure to a SS.

Is anyone having any luck with SS Pures? If so, can you let me know what you're using?

Cranks (brand, style, size):_____
    BB (brand, style, size):_____
    Gearing:_____
    Rear Hub:_____
    Freewheel:_____
    Chain:_____

Thanks!

Nick

2. Elan

Elan steve french

i ahve a koxx LB, they have same exact rear triangle as the pure.

i have
    try-all FFW cranks wit ha 18T trak cog
    a FSA signature DH BB, 128mm, ISIS
    18T/17T
    chris king
    track cog instead
    rohloff slt-99

you forgot the tensioner. most people run a "locked" road derailleur. i ru na surly singleator, and love it. i will try to find the pictures of my set-up

3. Elan

Elan steve french

new

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  4. umby

umby New Member

I got an echo pure 1080mm, and run a single speed for normal riding but have the chain just long enough to throw a derailleur and shifter on easily incase I need them for a competition....

Cranks: Race Face North Shore DH - ISIS - 170mm w/ 22 raceface steel chain ring
    BB: Race Face (whatever the cheapest one is I think...wish I spent more $ and got a lighter one however) 118mm ISIS spindle
    Gearing: 22t up front, 18t in back, use old cassette spacers to space the 18t cog over for a straighter chain line (I also have 4 other random smaller cogs on there as well to meet the rule of 5 Speeds when in competition, so i dont have to mess with my cassette to make my bike acceptable under NATS/NORBA rules)
    Rear Hub: Chris King (w/ Steel cassette body of course)
    Chain: Sram PC-58 or Sram PC-68, can't recall....
    Chain Tensioner: Surly Singulator.

5. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

just a thought, rennen makes a really nice single speed convertor...

6. think

think Guest

Thanks Elan and Umby,

Mike, how much clearance (between gear and chainstay) do you end up with running a 22T gear and a 118mm BB?

As for a tensioner, I'm hoping to whip-up a home-made one that won't require a hanger, or protrude outside/below the chainstay. Then maybe I can start working on moves to the right :).

Is anyone using a square-taper BB/Crank set-up on a Pure... what combination?

Anyone have any luck with Surly SS hubs?

Nick

7. umby

umby New Member

I just looked and around 5mm to 7mm I think, i didnt have a tape measure handy. I did have a 113mm on the bike for a little with a 22T and it fit as well, just a little too close for comfort for me at least...

8. Orkje

Orkje New Member

If you're looking for a strong ss hub (and you don't mind the weight), try to get hold of a Planet X Full Monty hub. I'm going to run one on my RAVen (with a Surly singleator for tensioning) and it is supposed to be unbreakable. They're made by http://www.gsport.co.uk, a UK bmx company.

9. loffa

loffa Member

I have a zoo boa, witch is almos the same as pure.

Echo 170mm FFW cranks
    VP 122.5mm BB, square taper
    18/16 gearing
    some cheap shimano hub(fixed)
    Acs claws freewheel
    Kmc Z51 chain
    tensioner is home made

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  10. aka Mr Floyd

aka Mr Floyd New Member

Just to think about... I did some playing around with my pure and found that you get a really nice chain length if you run a 18/17, 18/15, 20/19, or 20/17 just due to the length of the stays these setups almost don't need a tensioner at all (see Elan's setup above). If you run a 18/16 or a 20/18 you end up having to run a longer chain so you need to take up more slack (see loffa's setup above).

I want to run a 18/16, so I will either need figure out the best tensioner setup or look into running a half-link in the chain to get closer to the ideal chain length (do a search in this forum as there was a thread on half-links just a week or two ago).

If you can, post some pictures when you get it setup or drop me a PM. I'd like to see how it turns out.

Todd

11. think

think Guest

Hey all,

Thanks for all the specific info and suggestions. I'm trying to figure out what ratio I'd like to run... I'm a math teacher, so I know how to calculate it... I'm just not sure what I'd like to commit to :)

Todd, I'll try to send/post a picture when it's all together. I'm familiar with half-links.

Nick