Scam emails

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by lucky13, Mar 18, 2004.

1. lucky13

lucky13 Adapt, evolve, survive.

I just got a private message from one of those African political scam things,..

Is this normal??

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

no. i got them too. just delete and ignore crap like that. i think matt has already taken care of this- if not he will real soon.

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I'm researching this issue right now, this is definitely not normal. I don't sell or give out your e-mail addresses to anyone. This person registered then used the sites e-mail and PM function to send their messages. I'm doing what I can to make sure this doesn't happen again.

4. warpig

warpig Guest

I get em' all the time as email addresses are easy to harvest off of EZboards I guess. Kinda obvious where it come from when the letters start out as "Dear Mr Warpig"

Found this awhile back and it made me feel better about the whole thing. Kind of a long read but totally worth it.

Scammer gets scammed

5. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Well, they can't harvest e-mail addresses from my board, but what they can do is click that little e-mail button at the bottom of your post and then paste their e-mail into it and click send. I'm going through logs right now and it appears that "she" actually sent mostly PMs, though some e-mails did go out. I am going to be forwarding my logs to multiple different authorities that specialize in this type of thing, and I've firewalled her C-block (#.#.#.*) from my server so she can't access my site from the same place she did the first time.

If anyone ever sees this type of stuff, please notify me immediately as I won't tolerate it.

Bill

6. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

yea i got about 4 from the same person, kind of annoying but glad to hear that it won't happen again from 'her'