Rotors

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by Little Android Man, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

This isnt especially trials related so ill put it here..
    the bigger the rotor the more stopping power right? meaning an 8" rotor will stop better than a 6"..because of leverage. Or is the size just for cooling? I see on some sites it says the 8" has 15% more stopping power but once again, is it due to leverage?
    Thanks..

2. silus2000

silus2000 New Member

More surface area for the brakes to work.

3. airmj

airmj Guest

it has more torque then u press the lever. so more braking power.

4. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

On a trials bike especially, it is the extra leverage. On a DH bike, it would probably cool a bit faster, but wouldn't really be noticeable.

5. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

6. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

well i know that the cooling does not come in to play for trials, but an 8 inch rotor is going to stop you faster than a 6 inch, due to leverage, correct?

7. silus2000

silus2000 New Member

What does leverage have to do with it? Bigger roters (surface braking area) allow you to use bigger brakes.

8. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I suggest you look up definition of torque in any physics text book :) Essentially you can think of the rotor as a lever that is trying to stop the hub from spinning. The longer the lever the better the results.

9. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr Guest

it's like this-vee brakes are weak because they have to stop the whole wheel. therefor, you could infer that you would wanta small disc, however, the disc is so small that for ever time the wheel makes one full rotation the rotor pads don't have enough time to stop the rotor. therefor you could infer that you want something in between 26 in wheels and around 3 inch rotors. so 8 is better than 6 because the 8 is larger than the 6 but not too big

10. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

haahahahahahahaha

...you weren't being serious... were you?

11. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr Guest

sh, im hoping there are some aginorant people on this forum :rant2:

12. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

13. silus2000

silus2000 New Member

Um...that still makes no sense. The rotor can get as big as the entire wheel. By itself, that still wont make the bike slow down any better. :slap:

14. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

bwahahahaha, this thread makes me laugh

15. AndyT

AndyT New Member

im no scientist, but some dumb shit is in this thread.

8" rotor works better than 6" rotor, with the same caliper.

16. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

If that doesn't make any sense, than maybe you need to repeat grade 6. A larger rotor doesn't have any more pad contact area than the smaller one. the contact area can only be as big as the pad. It really is quite simple. It is the extra leverage that makes it stop better. Once again it goes to the torque explanation.

17. silus2000

silus2000 New Member

My words...
    I'm still trying to figure out what you were trying to say after basically repeating the same point I had just made. I appreciate your input, though. :rolleyes:

18. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

keep posting people- this is hilarious

19. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

Definitely getting good here.

I've been resisting a very long ramble including friction coefficients, torque values, clamping forces, and other goodies.

Think I'll keep on resisting.

20. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Making the rotor bigger will slow down the wheel faster. How is this so hard to understand?