Observed Trials banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Free Cup!
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isnt especially trials related so ill put it here..
the bigger the rotor the more stopping power right? meaning an 8" rotor will stop better than a 6"..because of leverage. Or is the size just for cooling? I see on some sites it says the 8" has 15% more stopping power but once again, is it due to leverage?
Thanks..

·
Registered
143 Posts
On a trials bike especially, it is the extra leverage. On a DH bike, it would probably cool a bit faster, but wouldn't really be noticeable.

·
Free Cup!
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i know that the cooling does not come in to play for trials, but an 8 inch rotor is going to stop you faster than a 6 inch, due to leverage, correct?

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
I suggest you look up definition of torque in any physics text book :) Essentially you can think of the rotor as a lever that is trying to stop the hub from spinning. The longer the lever the better the results.

·
Registered
195 Posts
it's like this-vee brakes are weak because they have to stop the whole wheel. therefor, you could infer that you would wanta small disc, however, the disc is so small that for ever time the wheel makes one full rotation the rotor pads don't have enough time to stop the rotor. therefor you could infer that you want something in between 26 in wheels and around 3 inch rotors. so 8 is better than 6 because the 8 is larger than the 6 but not too big

·
From your head to your fists
4,253 Posts
BiKe4EvEr said:
it's like this-vee brakes are weak because they have to stop the whole wheel. therefor, you could infer that you would wanta small disc, however, the disc is so small that for ever time the wheel makes one full rotation the rotor pads don't have enough time to stop the rotor. therefor you could infer that you want something in between 26 in wheels and around 3 inch rotors. so 8 is better than 6 because the 8 is larger than the 6 but not too big
haahahahahahahaha

...you weren't being serious... were you?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I suggest you look up definition of torque in any physics text book Essentially you can think of the rotor as a lever that is trying to stop the hub from spinning. The longer the lever the better the results.
Um...that still makes no sense. The rotor can get as big as the entire wheel. By itself, that still wont make the bike slow down any better. :slap:

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
im no scientist, but some dumb shit is in this thread.

8" rotor works better than 6" rotor, with the same caliper.

·
Registered
143 Posts
silus2000 said:
I suggest you look up definition of torque in any physics text book Essentially you can think of the rotor as a lever that is trying to stop the hub from spinning. The longer the lever the better the results.
Um...that still makes no sense. The rotor can get as big as the entire wheel. By itself, that still wont make the bike slow down any better. :slap:
If that doesn't make any sense, than maybe you need to repeat grade 6. A larger rotor doesn't have any more pad contact area than the smaller one. the contact area can only be as big as the pad. It really is quite simple. It is the extra leverage that makes it stop better. Once again it goes to the torque explanation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A larger rotor doesn't have any more pad contact area than the smaller one. the contact area can only be as big as the pad. It really is quite simple.
My words...
The rotor can get as big as the entire wheel. By itself, that still wont make the bike slow down any better.
I'm still trying to figure out what you were trying to say after basically repeating the same point I had just made. I appreciate your input, though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Definitely getting good here.

I've been resisting a very long ramble including friction coefficients, torque values, clamping forces, and other goodies.

Think I'll keep on resisting.

·
Registered
143 Posts
silus2000 said:
A larger rotor doesn't have any more pad contact area than the smaller one. the contact area can only be as big as the pad. It really is quite simple.
My words...
The rotor can get as big as the entire wheel. By itself, that still wont make the bike slow down any better.
I'm still trying to figure out what you were trying to say after basically repeating the same point I had just made. I appreciate your input, though. :rolleyes:
Making the rotor bigger will slow down the wheel faster. How is this so hard to understand?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts