Roll up?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Andreas, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Not sure what to call it. It's where you get on rear using good foot, rest front tyre on obstacle for about 1/2 second, and then kick with good foot slightly and land on rear. a good exmple is in TD6, they are done quite a bit. Anybody have tips for these? Seems like a good move to learn that uses barely any run up, which would be nice in some cases. One more thing-any specific heights i should start at? iim on a mod...So yea, basically i completely suck at them, any tips or help/advice would be much appreciated. :bigthumb:

2. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

We call them touch ups here, but some people consider a touch up a tap, so whatever lol. So confusing.

Lenosky has been doing these forever.

I find them super hard on low stuff, I learned em on stuff around wheel height, then progressed to the one you see at the end of the video, it is just over bar height.

Key is to not use your brakes, and to fully commit, they really aren't that hard, and they take a lot less effort than a pedalup does. Only thing is, they are only good for so high, and that is pretty much dependent on wheel base to an extent. On my Boa I feel I will hit the limit at 2" above bar height, or 39-40" I think it is, I don't really measure stuff that much.

Oh ya, and these are perfect moves for short entry stuff, especially considering you can take this move right to expert level, and probably never have to go too high, don't think the ups are still that high in expert.

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

edit; rere is me.

sorry i thought he meant the new alex m etc. vid.

Watch kevins COtrials 6 (i think) if you want to see me doing it ~37" or so. the key is SPEED, kick fast- in td6 he hesitates WAY too much, there should be NO hesitation for big things (because on big things you can't get that front wheel resting on top of it, and you actually just slap it more than touch it on top). I learned these on a mod, on 1 foot high things.

4. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

correct me if im wrong, but co trials 6 is the 15 minute long one. only spot i can concieve of you doing a roll up or wahtever is on that huge concrete block. looked more like a pedal up (with a bit of slappage) to me, correct me if im wrong cuz i don't know shit.
    anybody else? i'll make sure to try it out tommorow, i know of a wall about 1 foot high.
    oh yes, one more thing- where should my weight be?

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

No, its on the trash can. Its fast... You are talking about using your good foot and pushing it then up to rear after front taps....up the concrete shit I go from bad to good.

6. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

oh i see now. yes yes, good foot then pushing it up to rear. that's exactly what im talking about...

7. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Ya, I am not trying to do taps, It is a different style up, where you use the hesitation to your advantage. You can't go anywhere near as high, but they work great for intermediate height things. People don't tap bar height stuff, it just isn't necessary.

Watch the people who have been doing em for years, they have just as much hesitation, and can do them higher than any of us.

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

gardenfan, what the fuck are you talking about.

I'm not talking about taps either.

WHERE DO YOU SEE TAPS IN THAT POST

TO GO UP HUGE THINGS WITH THIS MOVE, YOU HAVE TO TAP OR ELSE YOU'RE BIKE ACTUALLY HAS TO BE OVER THE GROUND WHEN IT HITS ONTOP...ie NOT POSSIBLE.

but don't listen to me I haven't been doing them for 3 years. There is no hesitation, you cannot put your front wheel up on top of a 40" high ledge unless your wheel base is 55000 mm.

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

and yes i've had one fucking gay fuck night excuse my asshole ness im going to kill something.

10. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Feel free to kill away. But nowhere in that vid did I push up 40", 38 was the highest. I figured you meant on the smaller stuff, the ones where I am stopped like inches from the wall, those are only 32-33 inches, so its not huge, and hesitation is going to run rampant there.

And I totally agree that the higher it gets, the progression has to be made to taps, which is right about where I am right now, there is very little hesitation on the higher stuff. Lots of hesitation on the lower stuff. Just the way its done.

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

i wasn't talking about you going up it... :)

12. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

After reading this im pretty sure I know of the move you are talking about... :rofl:

that's pretty much it.

i've been working on these recently, 30 something inches is the highest I've tried so far... a mate told me to try glide the front wheel along the top for a split second (no front brake at ALL during the move), rather than like 'bump' it too much, and that works.. then its like a wheelswitch straight up to backwheel, using no rear brake until your tyre actually lands on the object really helped me to push it that little bit further up/forward.

Hope that helps.. i'll try get some visual aid out there

13. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

i do it with 2 pedals somehow, but it takes the same distance. i use my bad foot for momentum and then keep pedaling while i'm going up so my good foot is in the right position. It's the same move essentially, just with different technique. Maybe if i do more than one move in a vid you can see what it looks like.

14. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

I know what you mean, I do it the same way. The extra pedal really gives the extra speed that helps for higher objects.

15. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

there is footage of me doing one up a black block in the thursday_ride.avi vid we realeased a while ago. Its off a half pedal runup but its hard to see due to the fast editing.

16. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

once u get to about 3' u cant roll ur front tire on the top at all and u must 'bump' it. I dont suggest 'bumping it on anything lower than 2.5 feet.

when i do the move you guys are talking about i do it like a roll up to rear; i start w/ non choco in front, do a quarter pedal to get the front up, than kick the front foot to boost up to rear. its fun...

17. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

18. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

the second one was it.

19. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

yea the second one is what im talking about.
    i can do em OK now, maybe around 15 inches? something like that, i'll keep working on them
    oh yea, im doing them starting with bad foot from a stop, (starting with bad foot at near bottom of pedal stroke) then going to good foot, touching, and up. something like that anyways

20. Elan

Elan steve french

I CAN DO THEM ABOUT 30-35"..HIGHER THAN I CAN PEDAL UP...IT IS A SWEET MOVE THOUGH