Road shifter

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by RideManuals, Apr 15, 2004.

1. RideManuals

RideManuals Guest

Is there any way I could put one of those road shifters on to my bike?
    this post was inspired by my friends road bike and the recent koxx frame that had road shifter on the seat tube.
    Like the ones that are just one paddle? or would that require some kind of special frame or drilling into the frame? My friend told me that one of his friend mounted one on by using a fastener that you would see on like an upper radiator hose on a car. any ideas? I recently was forced out of single speed and looking for ways to avoid having triger or gripshift and ways to get the shifter off the bars. I was thinking about trying to figure out the whole barreladjuster shifter that I saw on mtbr.com trials forum a long time ago. Thanks
    Ridemanuals
    I was looking at webcyclery site and saw the kelly take offs do you think I could use those in some way?

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

you would have to drill and tap a hole in your frame. i dont think you want to do this. if you can use a hose clamp to fanagle one onto the frame i would suggest doing that. or your other option is to get cheap assed 5 dollar thumb thifters, they have a really cheasy clamp you could either replace or bend to make it fit your frame better.

3. RideManuals

RideManuals Guest

Just out of curiousity how bad would it be to drill and tap a hole in my seat tube? it's a zebdi mk5. I have the drills/taps and people I trust enough to have work on my frame but now I think I'm more interested in he novelty.

4. Pancho

Pancho Member

My custom frame has one mounted on the seat tube. I think you're talking about a Downtube shifter? They require a special mount, like on my frame, that is brazed on. The shifter then bolts to the braze-on.

Shifters have been mounted everywhere, with hose clamps on seat tube, on chain/seat stays, bolted to brake booster, under a seat, and even on the derailure hanger.

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

you could probably get away with drilling a small hole for the shifter mount in the middle of your seat tube. i do not recomend you do this if you ever want to have anything resembling a warranty. drilling rims is one thing, drilling your frame is any way is another. i would look into the mose clamp stuff before you put extra holes in your frame.

6. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

shifter? who needs a shifter? Just lock out the deraileur and let it roll.

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

aren't you supposed to be at work :squint:

Give me a call tonight FACtion