Observed Trials banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
wish i could pedal hop
534 Posts
It certainly looks interesting. I think this is refered to as a 'perimeter brake'. But from an operation standpoint isn't this the same as using a rim brake? The larger the diameter of a rotor, the more braking power offered. It doesn't get any larger diameter than a rim.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Canwillfail.... holding true to their name.

Just seems like its so unnecessary, so much extra moving parts, just so much more unneeded crap.

The whole post on reddit is humorous, cant talk shit about cannwillfail, since half the **** on that site have massive hard ons for cannondale. Godamn rookies crack me up.

·
wish i could pedal hop
534 Posts
^^So in theory, if we had sintered pads on maguras and vees, with a harder surface than aluminum (the rim), a rim brake could be crazy powerful. Lets get some steel rims in a 40mm width!

·
wish i could pedal hop
534 Posts
^I may be wrong. Hydraulic pressure is probably close to equal on a disc lever and a magura lever. In fact there are people out there that will take an old shimano hydro lever and mate it to maguras. (It actually doesn't work as well). Pistons pushing a fluid, thats it.

The difference I believe is the materials composing the disc and the pads. Steel rotors on a sintered pad is a very high coefficient of friction. There are aluminum rotors out there as well, and the braking power isn't a good as the heavier steel counterparts.

Keep in mind I am being sarcastic about the steel rims.

·
every ounce of fun
1,911 Posts
Fluid pressure has little to do with it. Google "mechanical advantage".
Finally, some sense. MA is MA regardless if it's hydraulic fluid or cable or levers and wedges, etc. While you can certainly build a disc-like caliper with equal clamping force on the rim as a typical disc brake, you will however sacrifice on the pad-to-braking surface separation. We all know how imperfect our wheels (esp the rear) are after a few rides. Having the tight tolerances (mentioned earlier by another poster) means your brakes will rub.

Now, on the subthread of steel rims, you could make a strong aluminum rim and clad it with steel like the Ice Tech rotors (though I heard it requires high explosives or something to manufacture).

Personally, my brakes work just fine the way it is...on all my bikes.

·
wish i could pedal hop
534 Posts
Okay then. Either way. A piston pushed by fluid or a wedge pulled by a cable. Same difference. Its a similar argument between Maguras and Vees, force is applied in a similar fashion.

All I was getting at was the materials that comprise a brake pad and a braking surface have a greater effect that how the force is applied. But with that being said, lets not geek out much further than this. A 2000 word essay from someone is coming, I can feel it.

Regardless. Its still cool looking and I like to see someone trying something different for a change.

And after all this my vees are stupid strong, simple, and CHEAP. (here it comes).

Keep it up though. Innovation is a good thing. Who knows what byproducts could come from this. I'm still using 96' era brake technology on my bike. Time for something new. Now to find my tar....(not kidding, I still use it.)

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
We need to get this to market there's not enough innovation in trials hell we are still using ISIS cranks for christ sake.
Exactly, this is awesome! Did anybody ever see Tongues XTR cranks with integrated bash back in the day?

A request: if provided with a crankset such as XT or XTR could you create a threaded interface for an 18T cog? I doubt there would be room for ffw but that would be the ultimate goal.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Square taper cranks were just fine, except for any aggressive style of riding. Those bearings still outperform and outlive any type of outboard bearing. The mountain bike industry innovates to increase profit, not quality. Look at 11 speed cassettes, 8 speed was just fine, you could use a 3/32" chain which had proven to be good ages ago.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts