rims??

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by norco tt, Nov 26, 2004.

1. norco tt

norco tt New Member

iam thinking about getting a new rim for my norco tt because the one i have on it at the moment is like a tank(heavy) iam thinking about getting the same rims as the new evolve and hub, what do u think?

rim:Alex DM-24 double wall rims with CNC sides 32H

hub:Shimano Deore disc rear hub

same as the new evolve

2. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

ummmm, dx32 is a better rim, and dont waste ur money on a deore hub, atleast get an xt

3. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

why? the freehub is the same. might as well same some money and get the deore.

4. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

yeah bitch, save money, dont be me

5. norco tt

norco tt New Member

about how much are the dx32 rims and deore hubs?

6. Elan

Elan steve french

what the fuck is the difference between the XT and deore? thats right. no difference to speak of

7. goose

goose New Member

uh.. i beg to differ

XT freehubs are very definitely different than deore's, if for no other reason than they're about 3 mm longer:) Deore's have 2 pawls, I think, cause when you move that freewheel around each click sounds like 2 clicks in rapid succession. Not the case with the XT, I can't make out the sound of 2 in that one. XT freehubs are also stronger, from my experience. I broke several deore ones, then the XT lasted for a good while until Mr King came in the mail. So, if you must get a shimano, XT is the only one to go for, unless you want to get a deore hub and a replacement XT freehub body right away. Then all you have to do is remove one of the washers from the axle on the drive side and go ride. Please don't run the deore freehub body, though. They break so easily...

Oh, and if you use the XT, remove the seal and spray it out with WD40, then run it on chain oil. Makes the pawl(s) a little quicker and it makes more noise this way:)

DX32 is the rim of choice. Tried, tested, and proven by MANY trials riders. It's a very popular rim for good reason, too, as they aren't pricey for a rim either, like 50ish CAD? 40 USD at webcyclery.

Before you make your purchase, consider going singlespeed by running a singlespeed rear hub with a BMX freewheel. Makes everything lighter, and is much cheaper than buying a King. If you don't compete, this is not a bad idea. There have been loads of posts about singlespeed and freewheels on this forum, so go ahead and check it OOT!

best of luck and happy hoppin,
    goose

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  8. BAM

BAM Guest

If you take apart a deore freehub it only has 2 pawls. I`ve seen quite a few torn apart just with normal mountain biking. XT freehubs use 3 pawls and last longer. Deore hubs blow.

9. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, deore and lx free hubs are the same, xt's are better, and xtrs are machined out xt's

10. Peace

Peace pedocrab

they are shimano, dont belong on a trials bike..... please get something with at least 24 clicks! shimano have 16!!! thats 22.5 degrees between each engagement! kings have 5 degrees..
    get a profile, hope, fuck, anything else for that matter! because shimano are the only brand left that still use 16point engaging hubs! If you lived in Oz you could get a Aireal Industries hub which have 24 clicks and are about $285AUD, you could mail order... i know a very reliable shop that sells them... www.pushi.com.au
    Just not shimano, you will regret it if you get one.
    Peace

11. pan man

pan man New Member

peace, i believe joytech also makes 16 point hubs! :ugh2:

anyways - a 10 dollar freewheel hub (such as the formula) and acs claw or whiteindustries (if you can afford it) freewheel is much better than deore! No gears to mess around with!!!

12. Burn

Burn Guest

Get a dx 32 pre built on a lower level hub(deore/formula). May end up costing you less in the long run. Or build a dx 32 on your current hub...