Rims holding up to grinds

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Bloodhound, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I have a DX32, and am a little scared to grind it.
    I have given it a mellow grind which helps alot with breaking, by mellow I mean about 65% of the rim is still black(the finish). Every rim switch it costs me $120 CAD, I dont want to do that more than every season at most. When I say Andrews grinding vid I was like "HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS! how is there any metal left at all!?" So now I'm actually really scetchy about it.

So my question is, how many times (and depth) can you grind a rim like mine without comprimising its strength?

Dont know if it matters, but I run S-Flys on vees now and plan to run Maggie Bloxx in the future.

Thanks
    Steffen'

2. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

supposedly you can grind a rim quite a lot before it will go.
    i've started to use a little tar which works for me. whatever floats your boat.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

i ahve never heard of anybody having issues with ground rims after riding htem for prolonged periods.... they ususally suffer an untimely death before you can grind through them anyways...dont worry about it, just grind and let hte orgasms flow

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I do that kind of grind once every 2 weeks or so. I've never noticed any metal missing.

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

the worst that will happen is you can dent the rim (like you always can) and it will crack a little bit in the edge of the dent. otherwise it makes your rim no weaker than normal. i can been grinding about once a week on my current dx for about two months- no issues. the one before that i ground a whole lot more than my current one and never had any trouble. you can get at least a dozen harsh grinds out of a rim if you do it right.

6. Elan

Elan steve french

i have a tryall, so i dont worry

7. rider ns

rider ns New Member

what about sanding your rims a little? I do that and it provides better stopping power

8. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

that works it just doesnt last as long and still doesnt have the same grab as a deep grind

9. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

wow, I'm really stunned at these responses.
    I'm gonna go grind my rim right now.

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

:ugh:

Don't worry about it because after 2 mins of riding the grind is gone?