Rims for street..

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by oicdn, Oct 13, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I'm looking at Rhynolites, or rhynolite XLs on Deore's or XTs...basically cheap/strong is what I'm after....

How well do those hold up for street and drops? Dan Bowhers...What rims do you get by on? Reason I'm asking is I don't want to make a shit choice that's overbuilt and/or too heavy (what I always end up doing).

Here's what I have so far:
    04 Devinci Hucker
    04 Fox Vanilla RLC125
    Avid FR5 levers
    Avid SD5 rear (all the SDs are the same with the exception of the 3's right...only lighter hardware???)
    Kenda Flame tires (lol...they were free, and supposedly they work out well for street...but they were FREE)

2. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Honestly, the Rhynolites are crap for street and just about anything. If you are actually riding street and are looking for wheels that will hold up get the Halo Combat SAS rims 48 hole rear 36 front. The diatech hub rear and whatever you want up front. Trust me DO NOT get those rims. If you feel like a 48 spoke rear wheel is overkill get a mammoth. I assume you found some cheap factory built Rhyno lites or whatever well dont get them. Get your shop to lace up some nice wheels and do it right, by hand.

3. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

whyd you choose a devinci hucker ?

4. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I'm getting 32h RLs for my street/skatepark bike. I'll be riding light though...mostly learning manuals again.

- Joel

5. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Halo SAS eh? What's the best place to get those(unreal has them for $250 for a complete set, non SAS...)? Diffence between the SAS and the regular combat?

The reason I chose a Hucker? Well, it was an insane deal. A guy bought a complete bike, but he's only 5'2 and got a medium, swapped it to 24's and thought it was still too big. Sold for cheap. Only cosmetic sctratches, so I got it powdercoated. Chose a Hucker also in that I kinda huck sometimes, i.e. 4-6 drops to flat concrete or whatever. Needed SOME peace of mind in the frame. Do some stairsets.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  6. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

I believe the difference between the Combat and the SAS is the double eyelits on spokes. Basically it is impossible to rip a nipple out...TIGHT. These rims are definately welded, not pinned, you will see when you get them...If you are doing 4-6 foot drops to flat the Rhyno lites would probably suck (at least in my eperience, because I like a rim that I never have to true, especially when I am at school and the bike shops suck and my truing stand/bike shop are so far away...)

7. Simonk

Simonk Guest

truing stand?? :hsugh: :hsugh:
    surely it is quicker/easier/less retarded to true your rim in the dropouts?

8. oicdn

oicdn Guest

D521 too overbuilt? Halo SAS sounds like a DX32 with it's 36mm width, 780 grams...christ...that's kinda beastly for my 160lb weight. A D521 seems a little more realistic, or am I just having shitty judgement like always?

Anybody have any info on these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're the Kore DSFR wheelset. Dimensions, etc....

I'm mainly curious about those, but how about:
    [​IMG]

Azonic Outlaw. Comes with a QR or 20mm for the front and a 12mm or QR for the rear conversion kit. How are these wheels as well? Aren't they like 31 or 32mm wide?

Can't find ANY information on these wheels AT ALL.....anybody have any info or experiance with either?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I've got some spreewells, they are pretty sick.

10. Elan

Elan steve french

you might want to check out wtb laserdisc fr wheels or somtin. they are in bti for like $200. good wheels and cheap.

11. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Phatmoosecycles has a handbuilt D521 wheelset with deores for $220 or XT for $240 shipped USD.....I was looking towards them, but these were in a dealer catalog at work, decided I'de come home and see if I can scrap up any info and nopes...I can't find SHIOT!