Observed Trials banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of overloading the forum with posts

I’d like to lightly grind the rims on the jitsie I just got.

is this an 80 grit disc on an angle grinder type job or what’s the process?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure. I want something just a little grabbier. I don’t expect to do much comp riding and don’t want to chew through pads too fast but I could use something to help with slipping that happens once in a while.

·
wish i could pedal hop
535 Posts
Some of the rims out there are hard anodized. Some of the anodizing is harder than others. The echoes for instance you’ve got to work to get it off.
I recommend using a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a flapper disc (tiger paw or whatever if you know what I’m talking about). Take the tire off your rim it will be much easier. If you can wait a day or two I’ll post you a video that is a pretty efficient way to do this.

·
wish i could pedal hop
535 Posts
Correct, a cutting disc will work too.
Just gotta catch the correct angle or you can really gouge it. A flapper will put a finish on there similar to that ceramic you speak of.
actually had a set of Bontrager Race Lite wheels with that ceramic carbide finish. Maybe some Crossmax wheels too. Can’t recall.
Wasn’t Plasmatic doing that for a bit?

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Using a cutting disc. I think I use an an angle of like 70 degrees. Don't cut thru the rim. Leave the tire on when grinding. This prevents the somewhat oily tire rubber shit from getting on the rim.

After trying almost every pad out there, I think the tried and true coust pads are the only ones to bother with.

B.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts