Rim Clearance on a PX Zebdi Mk3

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by B1105, Mar 30, 2004.

1. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hey, sorry if I've asked this many times before, but I can't seem to get a definite answer. I have a Zebdi Mk3 (Bill's old one), and am in great need of a new rear wheel. I plan on getting a CK Classic hub, with DT Competition 14/15/14 gauge spokes with SS or brass nipples. My problem is the choice of rim. I was planning on using a DX-32, but from recent searches, it seems like it won't work well with v brakes (I'm running Avid SD TIs). I understand my brake arms will stick out and that can be a paid in the ass, but will the rim still work ?(ie, i can ride problem free for a bit?). I also considered the Tioga DH rim, which is not as wide, so I heard would be less of a problem. But at 80 bucks for that rim, I'm kinda hesitant. So my ultimate question is, will a DX32 work on a Mk3 Zebdi with V brakes, and if not, any rim suggestions besides the Tioga DH rim? (something like 35 or 36mm in width would be preferable, and not so pricey). I'd really prefer the Dx32 since their so cheap, but...

2. Tanner

Tanner Well-Known Member

oh just get rid of some washers in your brakes...

3. Elan

Elan steve french

el feo is riding a px mk..4 i think, it is running an alex with a maxxis 2.5 tire, which rubs sometimes, however if yo uwere to run like a 2.2 michelin, i doubt it would rub.... the brakes arent that bad, you can only run thinline pads (koolstop salmons) though, and it would be better if you take out all but the one washer on the brakepad side of the brake arm..

i also rode a alex on my zoo with v brakes, and it was fine, the arms just get a little annoying, but then you get used to it

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

Thanks, is the stainless steel freehub an absolute necesity? I plan on running a 17t cog, with like a 19 or 18 above and a 16 or 15 below to help keep the chain on plus some spacers. I can't seem to order the stainlesssteel freehub through my shop as an employee, so I'd have to figure out how to get it.

5. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

just get a king cog. they are so so nice, chain off = never ever.

6. Elan

Elan steve french

i think it is a necessary part, because if yo udont have it, you dig the shit out of the aluminum one. chris king will put one on for you for like $50..ill go get my reciept.

edit: for$55 you get a service and steel drive shell.

7. warpig

warpig Guest

I know that Paul's Components monolite V-brakes work good with that combo. They have a bit more adjustment room than other V's. Worth looking at anyway. Or as far as rims go, maybe a Rhyno Lite XL?

[/i]

8. Elan

Elan steve french

the xl is nice, but it wont suffice on natural.

9. warpig

warpig Guest

Wide enough but not too wide and afforable. Can't have everything for cheap..............

10. B1105

B1105 New Member

Yea, I considered the XL, but I think I would like the width of the Dx32.

Is the SS shell necesarry if I'm running a carrier?

Thanks for the input so far.

11. warpig

warpig Guest

I'd get it just for peace of mind. Even a King Cog makes a pretty good mark on a steel freehub. The extra $25 is a good thing for such an investment. But most important, it makes your hub louder :)

12. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

I recomend the Rhyno Lite XL. Foreshure. I just got one and I love it.

My buddy has been using it for a long time as well and likes it more than I do.

May be a tiny bit skinny but it isn't a big deal. Since you get the strongest, lightest, rim for the price.

I would go for the Rhyno lite XL.