Riding tips... i donno

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Elan, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Elan

Elan steve french

ok, i am selling my front brake, so i took it off..and then i sat down and watched a coust vid because i knew that i wasnt going to be able to ride for like a week until my new brake comes in..and then i remembered how this one fagoot on this thread said that htye only use one brake like 90% of hte time, and in the video, their front wheels are spinning when they up shit and all that...

so i went out for a little ride before the snow comes, even though, i have nothing as far as brakes on on the front of my bike...and HOLY SHIT. i feel like 10X better at riding. just like 2 short hours ago i was riding and i was getting tired after like 2-3 consecutive moves (they were big moves, for me anyways), when i rode just like 30 minutes ago, i did all the same stuff, but i never stopped riding. and i felt cool because my front tire was spinning.

anyways, i just thought id share that. its like 100% mental. when i was riding earlier i was getting mad because i was all sketchy and i always would be fidgeting around while iw as setting up for a move.... now without the brake even there, i had much more confidence and i pulled all the moves smooth and i hardly stalled at all...mainly because you cant... well, i hope this helps somebody, and i hope everybody who uses their front brake all the time will try it out...in the last 30 minutes of riding, i think it was the most productive session i have ever had. :ugh2:

2. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

dude sweet, this is one of the first times I have seen you A. Excited about YOUR OWN riding and B. Started a thread not about a part or something crazy. Good for you. Sincerely and drunkly

-Dan

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Yeah Elan, good thread. It's nice to hear that lower-level riders (that probably sounds assholeish, but I'm tired and drawing blanks here..) can benefit from these techniques typically employed by advanced riders. I'll be moving my brake lever out of reach to give this a shot sometime :)

Bill

4. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

That sounds scary but it makes sense...imma have to try it sometimes :)

5. Elan

Elan steve french

word...

also, i forgot to add, that not using the brake, i have way more confidence...it forces you to be confident, because you cant stall too long. i dont know if anybody else has this problem, but i would usually sit there and hesitate and try to set up "perfectly" before i ever attempted a move, now i just execute the move with no hesitation. its way more effiecient too.

so yes, i think this is a perfect technique for any trials rider to learn. if i would ahve known about this like 9 months ago, i would be way better today.
    it probably isnt as important as trackstanding or pedal kicking or a few other fundamental skills. but it ties in with all those, and will make you way more efficient and confident. the good thing is, that it isnt an advanced move or anything, you can start to learn it the same day you learn how to pedal kick.

6. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

cool, i'll definitely be laying off the front brake for a while :bigthumb:

7. DMArnt

DMArnt Guest

How did you find touch hops etc? I'm use to rolling up, touching the front brake and hopping up on objects.

This now brings me to another thought. Did you try any touch hops?

:werd:

8. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

dude thats ridiculous

9. sebLG

sebLG New Member

exact same thing happened to me! like a few days ago, i was told to hold my bar with my front brake hand rather than having my finger over the lever when i touch up and SHIT. was awsome once i got used to it, and my touch ups got a fair bit bigger and ALOT more consistent and stuff like that, plus yeah it looks heaps cool when ur wheel spins all over the place after you up :p . now i am gradually holding my front brake for less and less moves. i still have to get out of the habit for most moves but touch ups and roll ups i am holding the bar.

10. sebLG

sebLG New Member

no, no its not at all.

11. DMArnt

DMArnt Guest

Wait a min, can u hop up heigher objects now?

12. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

How long did it take you to get used to holding the bar with all fingers?

I can imagine it feeling shit wierd to start off with, didn't you find that you kept skidding anyways when you had to stop suddenly, due to the rear only being locked?

13. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

LoL only a tiny bit related, I was riding a manual down this huge hill coming back from a riding spot and I was going about 20 mph and i dropped the front end, I luckilly let go of the brake, but the front wheel wasnt spinning and it made a cool fart/rubber noise, I liked it.

14. Elan

Elan steve french

yes, touch=uping stuff is 10X easier when you arent even on the front brake... try it..the first time i did it it was scary, but it takes way less effort when you get your bike up in the air. i do feel like ican hop up higher stuff now because i feel like i have more control, and there are less movements to do.

it took me like 10 minutes of just pure riding to get used to the feeling of having no brake finger on the front... but i had no choice really...

yo ushould only need your front brake for things you do on the front wheel..other than that, idealy, you should only be using one brake.

15. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I'm getting a tattoo tomorrow on my shoulder that says:

"JOO theekns your KEWL BRAH!? No ways, I"M FRONT BREAK ALLS THE WAY OFFS!"

:hsugh:

16. Elan

Elan steve french

andrew, you should offer only constructive criticism. or stfu.

17. AndyT

AndyT New Member

elan, you should stop pretending like you know what is going on. put a video up so people know who they are taking advice from.

18. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

This is a very good thread and it is a very important thread for those of you that want to improve your riding, pay attention to what it says!

This is a big key to better riding!

Jim VanSchoonhoven

19. Elan

Elan steve french

okay andrew, sounds good. just because i suck at riding ,doesnt mean that i dont know what i am talking about. i do not have to pretend, i take advice from some of the best riders in the states and pass that on ;)

20. AndyT

AndyT New Member

...who got their info from the best riders in other countries...and at the end of the day the only thing that can even give you hope of competing is a time machine.