riding skinnies tip

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by RomanC, May 3, 2004.

1. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

This thing I found out today. When I rode skinnes before I would just use the front brake in case I began to loose balance. But if you drag both of your brakes you can so uber slow and the bike doesn't want to lean to the side it just stays upright, so you have more time to shift your weight as you need to.

2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I find that if I don't use my brakes at all I can ride them decently, but if I start to pull on either of them I'm screwed.

3. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Find a curb that is somewhat downhill and give this a shot. Or just try it on a small downhill and try to keep a straight line

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I dont use my brakes unless I begin to fall too much to a side, then I pull quite hard on the front brake, works everytime. If I get REALLY far off balance I pull both brakes hard to stop in 6", lean super far over the handlebars, pull the bike upright, then pedal forwards while dragging the front brake a little - thats energencys though, normally I would just jump off and save my efforts. The day I perfect this technique is the day I can ride a cotton thread accross the atlantic.

5. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Remember to crouch down a little so the bike is more stable. And use your knees to keep the balance. And If you must off. Try to fall to your good side cause it's easier to put your foot out that way... Just kidding.

6. onto1wheel

onto1wheel Member

and remember to always always ALWAYS land rear wheel first when you do fall off the skinny. Don't let your front just roll off.
    Your face will appreciate this tip when you find yourself riding a skinny that's several feet off the ground.
    spoken from experience.
    doug

7. Evant

Evant Guest

look at the end of the skinny, you body will naturally go to where you look, looking only a few inches in front of your front tire is the easist way to botch a skinny. Learn by riding painted curbs.