Rider Height

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by FliPP, Apr 5, 2004.

1. FliPP

FliPP Guest

Any short riders out there?

I just need someone to relate to. I'm only 5'0, and have difficulty learning new techniques and stuff. I just wanted some replies of shorter riders to see how they cope with this prob.

[edit] Also Bill, I'm new here, and I think that this is the best,most helpful, unboring trials forum out there.

2. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

holy 5 feet batman....ummmmm ride a mod? j/k, how old are you man? if you're young, just work on the balance a lot and watch a lot of vid's of marc caisso. He's like 5'4"

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you like the site :). I basically agree with Graham, if you're done growing you may find that you like a mod a lot more than a stock (if you aren't already on a mod, anyhow). If you're still growing, just do what you can until you start getting taller/stronger.

I'm 6'3", so unfortunately I can't really offer much more advice than this.

4. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Learn technique. Obviously you are at a size disadvantage compared to ogres like me (6 4) and matt. However there isnt a damn thing that says you cant learn technique and kick our asses. Hell I know you will kick mine

5. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

umm. ask average mike? he looked like he was riding a 24" when he was on his brisa mod :D

6. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

ahahahhahahhahaha.. yeah mike is a tiny guy ;) but he is goin to kick all our asses soon :)

7. sebLG

sebLG New Member

baahahahahahahahhaha yeah! how old is mike anyway? anyway height shouldnt effect you much, unless its drastic.

8. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

Hey Flipp,

Don't you worry about your height too much. I've 5' 4" on a good day. I've been riding for a little over 2 years and can up higher than some of my buddies who are 6'! If you're wondering about a stock or a mod, I ride a stock. A Brisa B26D, it's not one of those long wheel base UCI bikes but I really like it and fine it quite comfortable.

Just keep practicing as often as you can and really watch those videos and concentrate on the technique. If you have any specific questions let me know!

9. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

FLiPP, my name is Jim, you don't mention how old you are or if you will most likely grow some more, but those could be things to remember.

I am a trainer and a coach of people in many different sports. I have seen most of the Worlds best trials riders. They range all over the place when it comes to size, and from what I have seen I would not say that size is the determining factor in being a good trials rider.

In fact a number of years ago I saw a small girl from Europe that could not be much over the height you are, if in fact she was even that tall, she rocked. She could go wheel to wheel up picnic tables. Not only that, but in an actual comp I am sure she could out ride ALL the Junior men that where than on the US World Team at that time. Of course she was a great rider (World Champion), but the point is she could really ride. Of course she was riding a mod bike and even then the bike was a little on the big side for her.

That was not a meant as a slamp to those US World team guys, she was very good and they had not done any UCI style riding and that was all she did, so she had a big advantage.

The point is your size should not determine how well you do, it will be your motor skills. You might be at a slight disadvantage, but work at the proper form and you can do well.

Jim VanSchoonhoven

10. silus2000

silus2000 New Member

If a guy can be world champion at 5'4, I dont see why you couldnt be at least a pro at 5 even.

11. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

:werd:

12. average mike

average mike Guest

Im 13 and 5" 3' or so. I dont think my size holds me back much, only some moves like big lunges to backwheel and stuff. Just try concentrating on technique and using all your strength.

13. FliPP

FliPP Guest

Wow, thanks for all the replies.

Im 15, and yes im still growing. ive been riding since december.

I ride a stock evolve. also Average Mike, do you have any vids of you riding?

14. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

werd. im 14 and about 5' 00", pretty sad. work on a lot of the basics (wall trackstands, brakeless backwheeling) etc, and that will help you get a better feel of your bike. you may be thinking , "who cares i can pedalkick forever i got all the balance i need' but in reality these moves aren't super exciting to learn, but they do help you a lot!

15. FliPP

FliPP Guest

Mike, Andreas, how heavy are your bikes?

16. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

im 5' 4" and i ride a levelboss 1065. i dont have as much room to strecth my arms out like taller riders, so i have to jump my body a lot more to make up for that. i also work a lot on style and smoothness haha. i cant do huuuge ass moves, so i might as well look good doing small moves haha. yes work on as much balance moves and technique at them as you can, posture and all, before you start worrying about doing big huge moves. i have a friend who started riding last may, and he has learned extremely fast, doing pretty big moves for the lenght of time hes been riding. definately much bigger than i was after 1 yr of riding, but he looks very unnatural and ogre like. hes more concernced with the size of moves, than tehcnique and stuff.

17. B1105

B1105 New Member

I'm basically going to repeat everything above since it worked for me. I basically started true trials riding 2.5 months ago and I dont think your height really matters, as long as you can sit on the bike with your feet touching the ground(then it might be a probelm), then all you should practice for now is balance. From there, every other move improves.

18. Tanner

Tanner Well-Known Member

god, I feel so weird being here..haha, I'm 15 and 6'3"...

19. Elan

Elan steve french

and you ride the shortest bike ever made

20. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

monty x lite-20 pounds