Rhyno Lite Xl on rear?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by B1105, Feb 26, 2004.

1. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hey has anybody been sucessful with a Rhyno Lite XL rim for the rear? Its 29 wide. I understand that the DX32 is the prefered choice for most people, and it is 10mm wider than the Rhyno lite XL, but just wondering anyways. My only concern is tire roll, I'll be running a michelin comp 24 2.2 probably and just dont want the tire rolling off. My weight of 130lbs read doesnt need a rim as beefy as the Dx32, but I'm still considering it.
    Thanks
    Vyron

2. oicdn

oicdn Look at my member...

You want a DX32 for it's width not only for tire roll, but for footprint AND stability on the rear. The wider footprint gives a bigger contact patch, bigger contact patch means you have a wider surface, wider surface = stability with only one thing touching the ground.....that, and they look neato :bigthumb:

3. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

If you have maggies and 4-bolt then the rimm will be too narrow so the pads won't reach the rim. I had this problem with my d521(28mm) and my pitbull frame.

4. Elan

Elan steve french

the XL is a super good rim..however it does have its folding issues because it is thin, but it still works nice, probably the best choice for urban only ridingi id say. it is near impossible to break

5. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Hey,

Agreed, ride it if you are an urban guy, the width would be really appreciated only if you are riding a ton of natural. I am not having issues folding my tire (Mobster 2.5) but I also prefer more PSI than most...

6. Gardenfan

Gardenfan New Member

with the 2.2 tire you shouldn't have any problems with tire roll on that rim. If you go to a 2.5 you should definatley hit up a dx32. Heck with it, go DX32 anyway.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

ah, i ran about 20 psi when i had my XL, it only folded on steeper stuff...it wasnt a big issue, but it also wasnt a dx32

8. planetary1

planetary1 New Member

I rode the RLXL for over a year and then I switched to Alex back in June. Don't worry about getting it, just go for the Alex. You will be much happier. For me the tires would constantly fold over on natural stuff with the RLXL. It just got to be too annyoning--and the footprint of the tire is too small. Seriously, go with Alex, it is 100% worth it. I've been running DX32+King Classic+Maxxis minion SRY and since June I have had 2 pinch flats (and they were both well my own fault), no rolling of the tire at all, and, and I have not had to true the wheel yet. And I ride a lot...

9. Elan

Elan steve french

i think alex is actaully cheaper too

10. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

the ryno xl works great as a front rim but as said- i would definitely recomend the dx-32 for the rear.

11. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

the XL is the strongest rim(for it's weight) i have ever ridden. that said, it's too narrow for trials.

12. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

I have a Rhyno Lite on the rear with a Minion 2.5. Its not by choice, but it works. I would prefer what the other guys are saying.