review: Try All Sticky Tires

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by planetary1, May 19, 2004.

1. planetary1

planetary1 New Member

Try All Sticky rear tire review:

I've had my tire for 4 weeks now and I thought that it is time for a review before I forget. In short this tire is awesome. I've been riding trials for exactly 3 years now and I have used several tires including El Gato (crap), Tioga factory DH (crap), and Maxxis Minion SRY compound dual ply DH tires(excellent). I would have to say that the Try All tire is as good as or slightly better than the Maxxis tire mentioned above. I have used the Try All tire in competition, in natural conditions including mud, dirt, logs, and rocks; I have used it many times in the rain and wet conditions (even wet sandy rocks) and also for urban. I can't get over how much this tire grabs slippery surfaces like wet logs and wet smooth rocks. If you use the right pressure you can be confident that you will stick where you didn't think that it was possible to stick. The rebound is slow, again depending on the pressure, and the tire just seems to form to uneven surfaces rather than bouncing off of them. In a way this tire has given me so much confidence that I have been doing some kind of stupid stuff like wet rail sections and gapping to wet wooden stuff like backs of park benches and wet wood rail fences. The Tire has not slipped on me once. Because it rains so often here I ride in the rain or wet at least 50% of the time and I actually don't mind it anymore, it's kind of fun in fact. I know that as long as my tire placement and balance is correct I can do just about anything that I can do in dry conditions. (my brake pads have something to do with this too but that is for another review to come soon...)

For dry conditions there is nothing really to say, it's simply awesome. No issues.

For urban conditions it is equally awesome, rails, painted concrete, metal, smooth granite and marble, it's all food for the Try All Sticky, a real confidence booster.

It will wear relatively fast if you do a lot of urban, especially if you use your bike to ride through the city to your spots, but that is the price you pay for such a soft compound. Maxxis SRY tires do the same thing. After 4 weeks mine is just starting to show signs of wear, but not that much. In my experience this tire is wearing just as fast as my previous Maxxis tires have done.

So, in short I can give this tire my 100% approval rating. It may be just slightly more bouncy than the Maxxis Minion SRY DH dual ply---maybe---but I don't think so.
    If you have been considering it then just get it...you'll love it.

2. TRA

TRA this is very uninteresting

its 2.5 is it ? it doesnt look 2.5 compared to maxxis 2.35 . then it looks more like 2.4 . your thoughts there? . and if it is larger then the maxxis 2.35 and a little bit slower on the rebound it should give just about the same bounce since its larger? any thoughts there? .. You ever punctured?

3. Elan

Elan steve french

maxxis measures their tires wiere. for instance: a michelin 2.5 is about the same size as a maxxis 2.35, if not smaller.

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Most of my friends run Maxxis on DH/FR, the 2.5 looks like a 2.3 and the 2.7 is like a 2.5. I dont remember the models.

Good review, but you left out a CRUTIAL part: pinch protection? A main feature in a trials tire, at least for beginner/sport ridders.

5. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

ULTRA pinch protection.

Im not flatting on a TryAll no matter what I do.

:bigthumb:

6. TRA

TRA this is very uninteresting

the more pinch protected it is the slower the tire is i guess, need to find right balance.

7. planetary1

planetary1 New Member

I didn't mention anything about pinch protection because that depends on so many factors--smoothness, rim width, type of riding, etc...I haven't pinched it yet but then again I'm not a big pinch flatter...In 11 months of running the Maxxis Minion DH I only got two pinch flats. I haven't even bought a new tube in over 7 months... But I'd say that the pinch protection is very good. I'm running it with an Alex rim by the way.

It is 2.5 and it is just about the same size as the Maxxis 2.5, maybe a little bit taller. I think that it is probably slightly bouncier than the Maxxis but the difference is so slight that I'd need some more testing time to say with more certainty. I've only been using the Try All for 4 weeks.

8. vince

vince Member

Are you saying we should ditch the michelin 24.1 in favour of the cheaper and stickier try all tires? Seems odd a trials company could make such a good tire. For half the price of any DH tire... the try all one might be popular this summer.

9. planetary1

planetary1 New Member

I'm not saying that...I'm just saying that the Try All is really good. I've never used the 24.1 but I would like to try it, only thing is that it costs twice as much as the Try All or Maxxis..