Revell bikes

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by Cory, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Cory

Cory Guest

2. trauma100

trauma100 Modest

4130 cro mo... my shoulders hurt just thinking about pulling it up .. any Idea on the weight?

3. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

not bad. they arent that heavy. i would be worried about your hub having the kung fu grip enough even with those tensioners to not shift around from the forces a disk put on it in trials.

4. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I think disc + horiz dropouts = frequent alignment problems, espeically as the disc tabs are not slotted and hence you can't move the caliper for adjustment.

5. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

I'm not too sure how the horizontal dropouts are gonna work. but I've worked some small miracles on my Megamo with avid mechanicals. Nothing that spacers can't fix...except the wheel moving in the dropouts...

6. cogmog

cogmog Member

real nice frame though. simple. clean. Nice!

7. shastamicnasty

shastamicnasty Member

Seems like that style of a bike should have a seat... maybe it is just me.

8. bmorekirby

bmorekirby I have bloody shins, yay?

I have adjustable dropouts on my street bike. all you need is a bolt on hub, and a good screw bolt tensioner, it will be fine. my hub has never moved!! :bigthumb:

9. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

have you ridden trials with it. trials puts some stress on the ol' disk and your hub in the dropout. my bolt on hub slid all over the damn place with a disk on my stupid lame ass street bike when i ran disk.

10. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Best bet would be to slide the axle as far forward as it goes and then go to work with either machining or tweaking the Avid's adaptor plate. Thats probably the best way to get rid of hassles.

11. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

first off, crmo isnt always heavy, peytos are what, under 4lbs???

and the disc/horiz drops works, but it takes some playing, if ur not using a post mount brake w/ adaptor tho....ur screwed

12. rider ns

rider ns New Member

That frame is very nice, clean simple and original however It seems to me that that frame is a strange. Its like a longstyle frame with a disk mount , cromo and horizontle dropouts. The cromo frame and horizontle dropouts are more of a street trait, but the disk only and no seat are long trials bike traits. its a bit of a mix.
    I love steel bikes but if I were to get that I'd like a seat tube and v mounts. However, if thats what you like its cool, and its nice to see something different.

13. Sirus

Sirus Guest

Slam that hoe

14. Ken

Ken New Member

Revell

That particular frame is under 5 lbs. Not light, but for 4130 not super heavy.

In these days of long frames, this one is very short, it's been designed with the Megamo in mind, since Chris Doney rode Megamo for quite awhile before Revell.

Shortest chainstay length looks to be 15.5", but thats just measuring it as it sits, where it sits with a disc mounted we don't know yet. Head angle's 74 deg, I'm not going to even mention wheelbase, cuz if you don't like short frames it isn't worth mentioning.

There are canti mount, dedicated magura mount frames being made, or in the works for 2005.

The whole issue of the disc tabs and horizontal drop outs, I'm told, is a non issue from a rider who has been riding it for quite awhile. We"ll soon find out, as one is being built up here and tested very soon.

15. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Ya everyone reads 4130 as heavy, which is kinda true. My Peyto is steel and sub 4 pounds with 2 layers of powder coat. I use a Reynolds front end tho. The Revell sits around the same weight as a Levelboss I'm told.

I'm really interested to see how it builds up and rides with the rear disk. I know a couple guys getting them and I can't wait to hear some feedback. The whole rear disk thing I love and love seeing it being used more and more. There are a lot of different routes still to go in search of the "best" setup as well I believe. I've said it before and the mod bike is the best bet for really capturing a rear disk's full potential.

16. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

Well I've finally found out a problem with my rear disc/horizontal drop setup. There is a bit of sliding in the drops every now and then with the axle. (I'm using qr lol...but i put it on fricken tight... like monkey wrench tight) It always ends up with one of the bolts of the axle sliding backwards with the other one not. This causes the whole wheel to go off center. The tire doesn't align in the front anymore and sometimes rubs the chainstays, The chainline is a bit fucked up. And the worst problem is that my disc goes on an angle. This causes uneven/fast pad wear and alot of power loss considering I'm bending the disc most of the time when im stopping. I'm running an open system right now so it compensates a bit for the misalignment but not enough. And to describe my pads the right side one (looking from the back) looks like it has hardly any wear while the left side one is totally worn on the "inside" of the pad (part facing the axle) and has even got some wear on the backing while the outside part looks like the right side pad. By the way. The left side pad clips look like they been to hell and back. There is an easy solution to all of this though. And it is just to realign your axle from time to time but i seriously dont want to bother with that all the time. I might try a bolt on axle for it but considering what Shiramizu said, i don't think it will help much. Oh yeah been riding about 1 3/4 years. Don't go extreme so it seems pretty lame... 160mm disc Hayes Nine (Oh how i hate them.) Run the Axle as far in as possible and I run gears. Singlespeeders with the axle misaligning i think you'll be in shit.

17. trials-online

trials-online still here

i think horizontal dropouts suck my left nut personally, they suck for mods, thats one of the advantages to owning a stock , soooooo why not stick with it???? would solve the rear disc/hub shift.....just a thought

18. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i like the idea of it, i just dont like how its done....i think an adjustable vertical drop out like Evil is using is a MUCH better idea, but i dont know how the disc will hold up with that system. i really think the best bet is yet to be found....

19. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

oh abd btw, bretts post mount rear is the absolute best way to mount a disc, i was trying to design my own rear post mount a while back...never thought to put it on the chainstay....

20. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

i will let you know how evils adjustable drop works. Frankly not worried...cause im so street.