Removing mod front freewheel (help!)

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by DaneBrammage, Jul 28, 2004.

1. DaneBrammage

DaneBrammage Guest

Whats the best way to remove the freewheel from the crank when its really on there TIGHT.

h e l p !

2. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Take off your crank and put it in a vice.

Attach a wrench like object to your freewheel to unscrew it. You'll find that it's not enough leverage to take off the freewheel though.

Get a large PVC pipe or similair, and attatch it to the end of the wrench. Stand at the end of the pvc pipe and pull. This will be enough leverage to wrench the thing off.

3. B1105

B1105 New Member

what if your freewheel is a piece of shit, like an ACS, and when I got the bike, the tabs were grinded off, is it still possible to get it off?

4. DaneBrammage

DaneBrammage Guest

Hey I just took my crank off and the dipshits at Monty totally ground off the removal tabs on my freewheel too. There are only two main options:
    either use some kind of grinder to make the tab location deeper again, OR you have to take the fucking thing apart.. there are two small holes 180 degrees apart right by the tab area. These holes accept whats called a 'pin spanner' and supposedly you can unscrew the back and take everything apart/off. Son of a bitch!

5. Turtlehead

Turtlehead Guest

Take the freewheel apart, this should be extremely easy to do... remove all the parts, you'll be left with just the inner piece that screws directly onto the crank arm. Put crank arm in vice, take pipe wrench, lock down on the left behind parts of the freewheel, attach a pipe, probably not pvc, to the wrench, and push hard... it should come right off.

6. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

ive tried cutting the grooves deeper, it doesnt work as well as it sounds. i had to take apart my frewheel and just clamp the internals into the vice, then just hit the crankarm with a rubber mallet until it came off. then i bought a wider bb so i didnt have to grind of the tabs anymore.

7. giventofly

giventofly I like Hops

the easiest and best way to remove an attached-with-the-fury-of-god freewheel is to cut it off. Plain and simple. Disasemble it down to the bare shell that is attached to the crank arm, get out your dremel tool ( http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html ) cut the steel case at 90 degree increments... Make sure to cut deep enough to get all the way thru the threads. It's ok if you go into the metal of the crank a bit....you won't crossthread or anything, as you are cutting perpendicular to the direction of the threads. Also, it will not weaken the crank. I once rode on cranks that had 3 freewheels cut off of them using this method, and at the time I weighed 245 pounds.

Once you get all four cuts done, take a flat screwdriver, and stick it in one of the cracks, and beat the hell out of it. It will crack apart and fall off.

use this method of the others above fail....when I used to weigh 245lbs...it was the ONLY way

8. DaneBrammage

DaneBrammage Guest

Last question:
    did any of you get the back off, by NOT using a pin spanner? I want to try wedging the point of a phillips head in one of the holes and see if it'll bang loose.. but if it doesnt then I've just F'd up the hole and then the bleedin' pin spanner a bike shop might have (tomorrow) wouldnt work. Did you all use a pin spanner?

9. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

use a prick punch thing, and a hammer

10. DMArnt

DMArnt Guest

Be prepared to destroy the freewheel and replace it with a new one.

:werd:

11. kamil

kamil Guest

i just destroy my acs free wheels when i take them off, i use a punch and tap off that plate (yes its hard to get off after its ground) then pour all the bearings out, and last clam it down in a vice and twist the crank arm with the help of a cheater bar. so far its worked every time.

12. B1105

B1105 New Member

if my freewheel blows, is it even worth replacing it if I have the echo cranks?