removing echo front freewheels

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by dkoppric, Aug 12, 2004.

1. dkoppric

dkoppric New Member

granted i should know how to do this riding for echo usa and what-not. i have a new set of echo cranks and i need to remove the front freewheel from the old cranks as well as the bashguard.

however, echo seems to have welded the freewheel together as well as shaved down the slots where a freewheel remover would go into place.

i tried a freewheel spanner, hitting the cap with a punch and hammer, and a couple other techniques.

if anyone knows how to get the front freewheel off the crank so i can get at least get to the bashring and hopefully the front freewheel (without destroying it) so i can transfer them over to my new crankset i would appreciate any help.

duncan

2. MikeTheBike

MikeTheBike Active Member

The only way I've ever found to remove a freewheel that has had the tabs ground off is to take the freewheel apart and go at it with a pipe wrench. However, if they have welded the lockring down then you have no way to take it apart. The only other thing I could think of is to cut the thing off with an angle grinder. Of course, you then sacrifice the freewheel and, if you're not super careful, might cut into the crank.

I don't know, Duncan. It sounds like Echo really has you screwed. Good luck. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

3. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Hmm, if it's welded together, its gonna be tough. Do you see spot welds on it? If no, well, have at 'er with a punch and hammer.