remove grips without breaking

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by unlimits, Sep 23, 2004.

1. unlimits

unlimits New Member

how can I remove a rubber grip? It looks very tight and I don't want to break them because I will use them later. I don't know if to pull or grasp with something...

2. Tanner

Tanner New Member

air compressor or just take a flat head screwdriver or whatever and squirt some water in there and bam

3. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

I dont really see how people can cut their grips off? I have owned many a grip and NEVER cut any of those grips off. Use chain lube

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

Alcohol works alright.

5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I think all the above ways work (and many many more) I make a tall glass of really soapy water and dip the bar/grip into it, then pull, if its really tight perhaps use a flathead to allow some of the soap water to get in there.

6. MegamoMidwest

MegamoMidwest chicago crew

go to your LBS and ask for an air hose with a little dealie to take your grips off, then squeeze open a little place just big enough to fit the end of the air hose in and blow away, and voila. it also makes really cool noises.

7. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea air compressor is the best way, all the lubes leave ur grips slippery and twisty

8. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

lol, by the time it took you to make that shot with your cam, upload it here and post how to get it off, you could have come up with a easy way to get it off yourself + enough time to beat the bishop twice.... common sense

My method, i put a pen or something between grip/bar then i put water in and it slips out. There is really no need to use soapwater or lubes

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  9. Shorty2020

Shorty2020 Guest

KY jelly is the best. actually i have no clue but it would be cool. i use flathead and sopay water cause it dries never us oil or greas because it akes forever to dry.

10. RT Wolf

RT Wolf Insanity Studios Inc.

I like how people have been experimenting with different lubes.

11. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

All I do is take a pen or a screw driver, shove it in under my grip and squirt some water down there and twist it off. And when it comes time to put it back on I clean the grip and my handle bar and use an air compressor to put it back.

12. unlimits

unlimits New Member

I always use foam grips that are less tight, so I didn't know what to do with this...
    Thanks a lot

13. GTFCKD

GTFCKD New Member

losen the lever and push it "through" the grip lever will push the grip off
    ...simple

michael

14. oicdn

oicdn Guest

When I didn't have a compressor, I used a butter knife dipped in soapy water, then shoved it in there, moved it a little bit and then twisted the grips right off. Afterwards, just dry off the inside of the grip with a papertowel or something... It's dull and thin enough to where it'll fit in there and not rip or gouge anything.

15. Crtd

Crtd Member

The best for remove/replace grips!!!
    [​IMG]

16. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Yep! And alcohol to put back in :)

17. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

THE EASY WAY: undo your brake so that you can move it around ure handle bar.. pull and twist up and down against ure grip.. since this applies a equal force against the face of the grip it pushes it off ure bars for u.. simple

18. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

Easier way: use Lock-ons

19. icecreamsammy

icecreamsammy New Member

dont know what its called in other countries but RP7 works very well, i use it to put on and remove my grips, just spray it in there and it comes off and when you put them back on, just spray it all in there and it dries rock solid in a few min.