rear disc on two 50

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by hello?, Dec 14, 2004.

1. hello?

hello? Guest

im doing a bit of street on my norco 2003 two 50 and right now im runnign v brakes on the rear and i was wanting to put my 6" hayes mechanical on the back but it doesnt work. when i mount the caliper on the frame and then try to put the disc in the disc goes to deep in the caliper and bottoms out on the bottom making the rear wheel not move forward and then i cant put the rear wheel in the full way. (these are horizontal drop outs by the way). i was just wondering if i need a special mounting bracket for it to extend it outward or something or what to do. i also tried putting the rear wheel in first with the disc and then adding the caliper but that doesnt work either.

Just to add if it makes a difference that the disc was originally bought for the front and is meant for the front. im not sure if there is a difference, also i used it on the front for a long time.

2. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

I don't know what your talking about but i seriously reccomend you don't put a rear disc on that frame if your going to use it for trials. It will snap right off no question. And to further back up my point... Hayes mech discs are really horrible your better off with your v brake.

Yeah well this post was kind of written fast without much thought and to back baz up its steel.

3. baz

baz Guest

man have you seen the gussets on that frame
    they are 7 mm thick

4. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

Well after that ^ to be more useful... front adaptors are different then rear ones you'll need a new adaptor.

5. hello?

hello? Guest

im not using it for trials. im using it for dirtjumpi9ng and manuals and all that. no hopping. its just hat the v brake is tearing up my rim and it doesnt work in the wet.

6. felix

felix New Member

If you want to use a front caliper with a front adapter on the rear you'd need a 140mm rotor instead of 160mm.
    There are no 140mm rotors, so you have to get a rear adapter to mount the caliper properly with the 160mm rotor.

7. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

there are 140 rotors, but thats not going to work, front adaptors thow it out by like 12mm i think...

anyway hayes mechs suck, ur v's dont work in the wet = grind rim, hayes mechs dont work at all

8. ty

ty Guest

actually with some good levers and proper set-up they are amazing. i have a set of hayes mechs on my dj bike that are stronger than any avid i have ever used.

9. hello?

hello? Guest

do you know how much these adapters are in CAN and if they would have them at a local bike shop. And it wasnt poorly written its just very difficult to explain.