Rear disc hub for mod, How good are discs.

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by streetnutter, May 25, 2004.

1. streetnutter

streetnutter Guest

I may be getting a rear disc infact a magura louise rear disc and am wondering how powerful they are compared to a magura, How well do they lock up? Are they consistent.

I also need to know whether there is a disc hub that I can screw a fixed cog onto. I have noticed on the side of my current quando hub there is a screw thread and I know you can get DMR disc adaptor kits, does anyone know whether these kits would fit my quandio hub?

this is the disc kit http

://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Wheels+Hubs+Spares&ModelID=1048

Bill

2. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

bad idea for trials. that adapter will unskrew. dont do it unless you have a DISC hub.

3. streetnutter

streetnutter Guest

Ther kit does come with a lock nut and would only unscrew that I can see if yoiu ride backwards a lot and suddenly jam you r brakes on, I don not do that so I would have thought It would not undo it self with a load of lock tite and a torque wrench.

What disc hubs with a screw on fixed cog can you get for under £ 100 english pounds.

matt

4. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

If you really want to go to rear disc, I'd say it's worth a try, Get a big enough cheater bar and you can make ANYTHING stop coming loose.

Red Loctite is good too!

It's not like you'd ever have to take it off.

5. streetnutter

streetnutter Guest

Thats what I thought, I have an adjustable torqu bar so i can get plenty of leverage to tighten it but i need to know of the kit would fit my quando hub

Bill

6. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

If your frame isn't designed for discs, it will break. discs have enough troubles so that adapter doesn't sound too promising either...

I run an avid mechanical rear disc on my equip and it works great for me.

7. streetnutter

streetnutter Guest

No the adaptor kit is for the hub, the frame is disc specific and is a megamo. But on the rear wheel I have which is a monty x lite rear wheel on the disc side there is a screw thread I want to know whether this kit will fit the screw thread.

Bill

8. durkie

durkie Member

well if the dmr kit is designed for freewheel threads then it should fit the quando hub. the monty/quando hub is just a cheapo hub threaded for freewheels on both sides of the shell. i don't know anything about this adaptor kit though, so i don't know what kind of threads it expects.

9. streetnutter

streetnutter Guest

10. sebLG

sebLG New Member

yo i know nothing about ur frame kit and that, but if u want there is a chris king disc single speed hub ... yeah ... bi.

11. streetnutter

streetnutter Guest

Yes but this Chris king hub would probably put me in debt for a couple of years????????

And the conversion kit is only £17 pounds.

Debt or £17, Debt or £17..............

I choose £17

Bill

12. durkie

durkie Member

oh, i would say that it probably would not work on the quando hub now. the quando hub has standard freewheel threads. from the description on the website, which is "run a conventional 16t freewheel with rim brakes or a disc, or flip it over and run a compact 14t freewheel" it sounds like the disc adaptor screws on to the part of the hub that would be taking the "compact 14t freewheel", which probably takes a smaller set of threads (or at least not a "conventional" set of threads). i think your best bet is to contact dmr at this point...

13. jobottDMB

jobottDMB New Member

I run a white industries ENO hub on my Brisa B20D and havn't had ne problems with it, cant say the same for the rest of the parts on my bike.

14. Mike

Mike Guest

:werd: Same here. White ind on my brisa b20d. lol
    What kinda rear hub u using?

Garbage Man

15. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

16. Mike

Mike Guest

:joshers: OOoops