rear derailleur, cassette combo

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Solid, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Solid

Solid New Member

So I just wasted my LX long cage rear derailleur on my bike today. So I began to search for short cage road derailleurs, and a road cassette that has an 18 tooth gear in it. There are just too many options out there, so I wanted to get an idea what everyone uses..oh yea 9spd. is what I am running for a chain if that even matters.....thanks

2. atypical

atypical Guest

I use the cheapest der at webcyclery, Sora? It works. :bigthumb:

3. fhfn2000

fhfn2000 Guest

yep, i use a Sora shortcage as well.

when i built my bike up, i got an FSA sticker with my headset. so i peeled the Sora sticker off, and put the FSA on. seemed like a good idea at the time :rofl:

sometimes people ask what the hell it is...it's good for a laugh.

4. Elan

Elan steve french

i use a suntour superbe pro derailler, its from like 1995 or somthing, maybe a 8 speed... i use it with a 9 speed shifter. i also use an assortment of random cogs and spacers. 5 cogs, and like 11 spacers or somthing.

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

i use this old Rx100 derriali, 8 speed, and works well. you can get old road parts cheap, and sometimes save even more weight.

6. Elan

Elan steve french

yea, my suntour weighs a little more than the new record crap from campy..and best part, i found it in a secret spot at the shop. yay

if you ant a derailler, go to your LBS and check in teh salvage bins.. i dont recommend this for cogs, because who knows what condition they are actually in, and you dont want anything iffy going on there...

7. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

just go to your local bike shop and get a short cage wiener style shimano deraileur. Then, take a cheap aluminum cassette and take it apart and replace the 18 tooth cog with a super cheap steel one. You're all set. Set up your spacing to be 7 speed and run a BMX chain. Wallaw, no more drivetrain crap.

8. Elan

Elan steve french

wallaw...nice french there mr try-all...

but yes, that is exactly what i did for my drive trian,. and voila. not to mention that my chain is worth more than my car