Rear Cassette option

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by ascentrek, Mar 8, 2004.

1. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

What should I get for a Rear Cassette? I would like a few gears to choose from. I have a CK KING ISO disc w/ steel cassette body. BigD, you got the necessary stuff at the shop?

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

2 king cogs with your choice of gears, then piece together a few dura ace or whatever you can find for the rest to be legal...

3. bigd

bigd Guest

we have some d/a and ultegra cassettes, which will do fine at your level even for your main gear, you won't have to worry about destroying carriers for a while. the best thing is to get a king cog like andy said for your main gear, they're strong, have a wider footprint on the cass body, and hold the chain MUCH better. then use spacers and spare cogs and shit. mine is 6 cogs with a 19t king cog at the top, i can actually shift into and out of it. i don't know why i'd want to, but it works really well. anyways, i'd reccomend a 22/19, i can help you get a straight chainline setup which is key.

4. Elan

Elan steve french

i run all ultegra gears with a few added spacers, it works fien so far..but i am running a 20T front now, so ill have to see how that goes...

5. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

I run a 12-21 Ultegra cassette. Works fine, I like to shift gears for riding around too.

Also, I took out one of the individual cogs (15t or something I think) and put a spacer on the driveshell first to make my chainline straighter cos I was snapping chains a fair bit.

6. JK

JK New Member

King Cog is the best option. I wouldn't use the Dura Ace cassette though, because they are so weak. I have broken one before doing trials. I hate that cassette. I wouldn't use it for road riding.

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I didn't say anything about using it to ride trials...just use it for the other gears, I never shift (I have one king cog, one steel cog that is a harder gear and then a bunch of road...not sure wtf it is)- i just suggest dura ace b/c of the lightness..or you could make your own cogs.

8. ascentrek

Where can I get a King Cog?

How late are you in on friday Dave? Are you working Sat? I will bring my setup (New KOXX) down.

Taylor

9. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Webcyclery sells king cogs taylor.

10. JK

JK New Member

Ya dude I know what you were talking about. That reply wasn't meant for you. I should have been a bit more clear. Actually I have Dura-ace on my cassette as well just because it's light, but I would never use it for trials. It's just that bigd replied to use the Dura Ace cassette for trials and a couple of people use Ultegra carrier :eek3: for trials. That is just plain dangerous because it will break eventually. If you can't get a king cog just use a regular cassette like a SRAM or Shimano MTB

11. Shipley

Shipley ..........

I've been running 7 speed shimano road cassettes (actually only 2 for the past year almost) and found them to hold up well. QBP has em for dirt cheap if you get cost and cheap still at retail. The teeth on the 6 and 7 speed cassettes seem to be a bit beefier as well. I had hardly started rounding the teeth on my main gear after about half a year or so. Grind the pins on the carrier and split it up with spacers to whatever gears you want.

12. ascentrek

Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place, or just stupid, but I'm not seeing King Cogs on their website. Are they under a different name?

13. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

just call them - a lot of the stuff they can order isn't on the website.