Observed Trials banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been having trouble with keeping the rear axle on my bike in position.

I ride a 2004 Zoo Pitbull with vert-dropouts, with a 135mm Echo TR hub.

No matter how much I tighten the axle down, it always seems to keep sliding downwards on the drive side, about 3-5mm, after repeated use or if I screw up and the rear wheel hits the ground on a weird angle. When I install the wheel on the bike, I have to push down on the chain stays to seat the axle properly against the frame, I crank it as tight as I can on both sides without stripping the bolt/axle.

It bolts on using a pretty small m20 hex bolt, probably the same kind used for handle bar clamps. That bolt sits in a bushing sort of thing which clamps against the frame. There are no grooves or coarse finish to bite into the frame, unlike the original old school nuts it had before I replaced the hub.

My main concerns are this;
Could the frame be bent slightly, requiring me to push down to set the axle? (Not really a huge concern)

Is there some kind of "friction paste" I can use to help the bushing/nut bite better? Would a star washer also work?

Otherwise, the only other thing I can think of would be to replace the axle itself to a more standard threaded style, if that is possible with this hub.

Will provide pictures if needed.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
you should try (if I'm not too late here) new Washers, specifically the axle bolt washers (that's the name on tartybikes). they have a bit of a knurled or sharp pattern on the side that rests against the frame and maybe yours are worn. this would be the cheapest thing to try!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts