RB Brake levers...where???

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by jimmybikes, May 10, 2004.

1. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Okya, Jeremy has got to find some of these RB Design brake levers, where do you guys get them from???

Jim VanSchoonhoven

2. JK

JK New Member

You don't actually need the whole RB lever body and all. If there is enough interest I could have a bunch of lever blades manufactured that you could install right on to your Magura lever body. Don't know how much it will cost. I will find out how much it would be to have this done through my contact.

It would have to be a small batch and I would sell them at cost. I'm not really sure yet if I am even comfortable doing this at all. It's just an idea at this stage. In any event, it is possible, and would be really easy to do.

I would do this only as a last resort if no-one can seem to locate a distributor for the lever. A friend of mine grafted an RB lever onto his Magura body and they work really, really well. I have been thinking of doing a small batch of ergo levers for a while.

3. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Actually. The rb levers piston is 13 mm in diameter as compared to 14 in the standard hs-33 lever. So if you use just the lever blade you will lose some of the power of the full rb-lever. But. Just to know I didn't get this wrong. You can fit a standard Rb-lever blade on a magura lever body? Without any modifications to the rb lever?

4. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

I'd be fine paying 40 each blade...? Add another 1/4-1/2 inch over the maggie PLEASE!! And make sure the back of the lever blade wont gouge
    my knuckes!

5. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

i had the idea of making some rb blades since i couldnt find anywhere around that sold them. i made some spiffy models of them to get measurements and stuff all correct. here are the pics.

before anyone says aything, they are just MODELS not rideable of course. i already saw posts on the vtcz forum calling me a hoofle for having wooden lever blades. obviously they dont know what a model is. anyways,

http://home.cogeco.ca/~roman/Blades copy.jpg

http://home.cogeco.ca/~roman/levers.JPG

they were pretty easy to make, so im still having the idea of getting some blocks of aluminum and trying to make them with some power tools.

6. Shipley

Shipley ..........

I'm sure there will be a lot of interest from riders on this board for some stiff ergo levers for maguras, myself included. Lengthen the lever without the flex.. sounds good. Larger piston in the whole lever would be nice if there was not so much worry of leaks.

7. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

So there are NO distributors for the levers at the moment?

8. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i don't believe there are. in any case, im not sure if i would opt for the whole lever. i have 2. in the past year, both of them have leaked. i contacted RB about replacement seals, in short they told me to screw off. they don't really support their customers. while i did like the lever when it was working, it was a pain when it leaked. i would be down for paying for an rb lever blade that would fit a magura, or better yet, instructions on how to do it. i have 2 rb levers that are laying at home....useless.

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

They are no longer sold, mainly because they are supremely gay (read: leak, look and feel gay).

All personal preference though. If you know how to set up a magura, you will never have it slip.

10. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

I want my blades in mahogany....please.

11. oicdn

oicdn Guest

those levers look pretty neato.....I would buy some lever blades...

12. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

rb lever = shit

leaks
    feels comfy but causes brake pump (in arms)
    feels mushy
    carbon flex's like a fuck
    leaks
    mush
    leaks.

13. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Clement, Nice try, but any one that believes you can set up Maguras so they never slip needs to teach every top level pro I have ever talked to how to do it, because he knows something no one else does!

Just for everyones information even the french are not happy with Mauras and highly modify them and even then they are looking for something better!

Jim VanSchoonhoven

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Just going from EVERY SINGLE RIDER I saw at worlds in vail, and from all the videos of euro riders...I've yet to see one slip on them.

I've yet to see one slip on me when set up properly.

15. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i've heard people saying that over in europe, when a magura is gotten (brand new), euro riders immediately switch out parts and modify them to make them work better. im sure the harshest of grinds are required.
    magura's are poo, lets face it. it's quite annoying, to know that you can nail a move, or section, but your brakes are the ones holding you back. what's even more annoying, is knowing that you have 'the best' availible (even though they're not that great, they're the ONLY 4 bolt brake out there -rolls eyes-).

16. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Andreas, have you noticed that small sentence? What is stopping jeremy from making the modifications? Nothing.

Do you think the best riders in the world would purposefully make a frame compatible only with these "shitty" brakes? Especially when they spend tons of time designing it to be THE BEST it can be?

simple put:

FUCK

NO.

17. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Maguras stock are not as powerful as a V-brake, but an RB design lever levels the playing field a considerable amount. Andrew doesn't need more than a stock magura, but a lot of other people do. Anyhow, Mr. VanSchoonhoven, I would first check Durgen Designs for a lever, as they're likely the only people in the U.S. that MAY still have them in stock.
    Old Site (which is where you will probably have to go to find out about getting one from them): http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/durgendesigns
    New site: http://www.durgendesigns.com

If all else fails, go to the manufacturer:
    http://www.rbdesign.sk/

Good luck, I love mine.

Bill

Oh, and Roman... What are you, some kind of moron? You can't ride a wooden blade! bahahah just kidding :p

18. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

well i got your point. not really sure why you're getting mad over nothing. i just made a statement, we are entitled to our own opinions aren't we?
    nothing is stopping jeremy from making those adjustments (assuming he can get hold of the parts necessary to do the mod's and know how). what is your definition of 'set up properly'? i have a fresh bleed on my brakes, a fresh grind, and the pads are adjusted properly.

my brake does slip a little bit. true, my grind can be harsher, and it wouldn't slip if it were pretty harsh. however, i think it would be nice, for a change, if somebody would come out with a brake that didn't need instant modification of rims or pads or calipers to actualy hold. :werd: although grinding works great, obviously it would be ideal to not have to do it. hopefully, coust pads will get most sorted. im guessing they work best with grind, but from what i hear they are awesome. that'll put an end to my fussing for a while.
    my $0.02

19. Elan

Elan steve french

ahaha..that is the logic htat led me to buy a koxx and sell my avids

20. JK

JK New Member

I think I could design an ergo lever that would be better than the RB lever. Don't know why it hasn't been done before, but I assume people don't have the resources to do it, or it's not cost effective. However, I have tried the RB ergo lever and believe that you can get better leverage from it. Personally, I haven't had a problem with the standard lever, but I am always looking to make my bike better. I happen to have a friend who owns a machine shop that makes aftermarket parts for BMW cars. I talked to him and he is willing to help me out if there is enough interest to make it cost effective.