Observed Trials banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning on snagging a set of these soon, ISIS 170's in black. I'd like to get a set of middleburns or bonz, but thats a lotta bank. I was using my 175 XTR's, but they're staying on my mtn bike for good. Anyone have any problems with raceface ISIS cranks? i don't want to use the north shores.

·
Plaid, I have not gone.
849 Posts
LP's were recommended to me by even the harshest of critics, go for them if you have the cash. eBay is a good place to watch, but always make sure youre getting compact or the right crank arm length, sometimes that info isnt included in the auction.

I think this is the best deal I found on LP's when I was looking: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=CR707A03

Of course those are 175's, not 170's like youd prefer. Also, if you are going to spend $170 there, you might want to consider spending a bit more for Bonz at $200, but I know you have to draw the line somewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
if you can get a deal on the race face then go for them. i have had no problems with mine at all. if not you may want to save up a little more for the bonz set up- everyone i know with those are just as happy as everyone i know with the turbines. dont run the race face bb's though. they are kindly pooply. i have had really good luck with fsa bb's though and i would highly suggest those for isis stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
I love my raace face cranks, have 2 sets in fact (well 1 and a half now?? ahhahahahaah....)...Anyway I hate how middleburn and bonz look and how the bonz feel, no clue on the burns but I'm sure they feel ok.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thats just it, the price. I can get the turbines at a silly deal, cause i'm a shop employee, but the only bonz i can get are sq taper. even the ISIS bonz will cost nearly twice what i can get the turbines for. as long as they hold up ok (turbines) i'll just get them.. andy did you break one or something?

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
if you work at a shop you can call up bonz and do an EP... they are gravy with shop guys. same with middleburn. check those out before you buy some turbines.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
Break one?? Impossible....

Grind the drive side spider down to nothing and put it non drive? Perhaps..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what is it about the bonz that ride funny? i think the crankarms look sweet, but that bashring/spider looks kinda queer. i like the raceface cranks because I can use my threshold/plaz bashring, its phat biznass.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ahah you will have to grind that threshold plaz down some because it wont fit the cutout right and yes i have the same one the right one but even the right one doesnt fit. its hard to explain but buy these cranks and you will see

·
Administrator
2,986 Posts
Sonic, the bonz come with a bash, but bonz also makes a spider that will fit your standard bash and what not. If yours don't come with a bash, then they likely already have this spider on them.

·
Plaid, I have not gone.
849 Posts
They offer them in square taper for around $200 and ISIS for $250, that's for stock. They just released a mod freewheel model in ISIS for $175.

I would have preferred ISIS square taper bonz, but I got a good deal.

·
Administrator
2,986 Posts
Sonic said:
They offer them in square taper for around $200 and ISIS for $250, that's for stock. They just released a mod freewheel model in ISIS for $175.
Have you ever called bonz direct? I picked up my square tapers for $175 shipped with an extra two pairs of inserts.

Sonic said:
I would have preferred ISIS square taper bonz, but I got a good deal.
I think you meant ISIS, not ISIS square taper :p

Bill

·
Plaid, I have not gone.
849 Posts
yes yes, I actually do know what Im talking about there, just a quick typo as I was headed out the door, oh how Im human.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
bigd said:
what is it about the bonz that ride funny? i think the crankarms look sweet, but that bashring/spider looks kinda queer. i like the raceface cranks because I can use my threshold/plaz bashring, its phat biznass.
Just personal preference, looking down at them from on a bike is just strange to me and I hate how they feel (though I'm sure most will love it). I could never ride them, just like I could never ride in skate shoes or with a 140 mm stem.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
The Bonz are square taper correct??? anyone heard of someone stripping those, because I have tons of doubts about squaretapered BB's and such
I have used square taper all my life. People strip them all the time, because with any crank (ISIS included), if they become a bit loose even once, the cranks and BB are both toast. Same thing with the pedals coming loose and stripping the crank threads. Has never happed to me though...but I check the bolts quite often.

Square taper has worked really well for me. Having said that, I have heard good things about ISIS, so I decided to order a set of Bonz ISIS cranks. I'm skeptical about ISIS being that much better, but I'll let you know what I think after I try them.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
I've never had any problems with square tapers (not to the point of not being able to use them), around 2 years on FSA power pros... But you can DEFINETELY tell a difference between say race face square taper and race face ISIS, its just stiffer and nicer feeling.

·
TrialsPads.com
4,434 Posts
I'm running the Next LP carbon...$175 off eBay for the square taper version. I like it :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts