Race Face Diabolus Cranks, First Review

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by xxxfr, Jun 25, 2004.

1. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

Well...i got the diabolus cranks today and put them on my bike w/ the standard 22/32/bash set up because i was too excited to change it. Set up is rediculously easy, but they dont come w/ the bottom bracket tool, but the shimano xtr tool works perfectly, which i had at the shop. the instructions have a nice little chart, for what your running, in my case 68mm bb, no chain guide, no e type bb, was 2 spacers on one side 1 on the other. Lock it down, done. then theyres a few chain line spacers, i set it up one spacer on drive side (48.5mm chainline) and the rest go on the left side. pop the left arm/spindle assembly through, grease the crazy looking spline, put the right arm on, and bolt it down....put the self extractor on, and ur ready to ride.

Now i went from 175mm cranks w/ a 113mm bb to 170mm crank arms. right off the bat i noticed that these cranks are unbeleivibly stiff compared to hussefelts, and theyre even stiffer than 180 profile SS's that i had on my 243. The other thing that i noticed right off the bat is the 150mm spindle is so much more comfortable than the 113. the 170 lenght and 150 width offers much more balence than the 175/113. As far as durability, i dont know, ive only had an hour on them. but some people were worried about the external bearings, i dont see it being an issue, the cups are VERY thick, atleast as thick as most frames' bottom bracket shells. and the way the system works, its impossible for the cups to backout, even if your grinding on them unless your crank arm was loose or missing [​IMG]

So far, the only bad that ive noticed is the price, $320US retail, but they appear to be well worth it, considering the warrenty on arms and spindle.

Value Rating: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (5/5)
    Overall Rating: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (5/5)

1 person likes this.
  2. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

Cool, nice review :) Would be interested to see how they hold up...

Only thing im not sure about though are the words 'RaceFace' and 'Warranty' in the same sentence, without the words 'you dont have a'. (They are notoriously bad over here in the UK for refusing to warranty ANYTHING)

3. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

150mm long bb length? :wtf: is that a typo or am i just stupid

sounds sick, but heavy. enjoy

4. Bigman 86

Bigman 86 Bigman, Because i am ;)

I would guess the 150mm bb lenght is because these cranks were posibly designed for large DH rigs, with very wide chainstay and pivots/bearing cases etc, therefore need the extra length.
    Apart from that a very good review, i hopw they last u as u don't want to try and claim a warrentie with raceface.

5. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Thanks for the review!!

Do you have a pic with those cranks on your bike?

6. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

theyre 150mm because the bearings are outside the frame, ive never had a problem with race face warrenty, when i broke the spider tabs off my north shore cranks, they overnighted me mew ones, they didnt even want to see the old ones. Pics coming soon........... as far as weight, they shaved almost 200g off my hussie crank and bb

7. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Nice....yeah I too had a .243 with Profile SS cranks, when I switched to Bonz on my trials bike, I noticed it was a ton stiffer...

Good review though...let us know how well they hold up!

8. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

definatly will

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

"its called a diablo martini... Do you know why conan? because it gives you a devil of a good time..mwahhahaha....- GOULET! -"

$320 is insane

150mm is insane

have no doubt the weight is insane.

How much do you weigh? I can't see these being worth it unless you are a standard american.

10. B1105

B1105 New Member

haha, 1197 grams with 40t ring and bb. i guess that not too bad, def heavier than like a FS plat pro bb and fsa v drive extreme cranks. (actually like 200 grams more), but going from hussfelts should be nice since those things are weights.
    what did they run at cost for you? raceface stuff is never too cheap even at dealer cost unless you do an employee purchase of some sort

nice setup though btw

11. B1105

B1105 New Member

shit, my bad, I didnt see $320, that is a lot of money

12. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, shaved 190g off my hussy setup, and i got a good deal from the rep, like beyone employee purchase, and pro deal, to kinda test them out, they ended up costing me about $100

13. Elan

Elan steve french

how are the external bearings holding up to bashing stuff?

14. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

nothing really could happen to them, the bb cups are the same size as the bb shell and crank arm, so theyre only vonerable to scratching, and even if you land completly on the cup, it cant do any more damage than landing on your bb shell or doing a drop and landing on the pedals, it would apply the same forces, as i said, the cups are very thick, and i dont see them cracking. the drive side is 100% protected by the 22t (it sits around the bb cup), and i would say the non drive is 99.5% protected, the only way to actually injure the cup would be to grind on someing 1/4" wide directly on the cup. Im going to go take some pics eventually. so far i havent tried any side hops to crank arm yet, but with missed side hops to wooden stuff, theyre mint.

15. vince

vince Member

I think the diabolus cranks x type bb is much more exposed than the shimano saint cranks. The diabolus has the typical gap from the crank to the bb, so it could be damaged. But the removal threads go all around the bb so no harm would really come of it if it were damaged. The tool only needs to contact half of the threads.

I haven't managed to hit my saint external bb because there is no gap, and the cranks extend over the x type bb. The pinch bolts are hidden as well.

In comparison these external cranksets aren't king expensive, you get a bb as well that can be swapped from frame to frame no problems. They don't come loose/creak and require virtually no maintenance. You can toss out the 6mm.

The only thing i worry about is just how hollow these crank arms are.:dunno:
    Well i always have a dickens of a time uploading photos, hopefully this won't be to big.

16. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

the race face cranks are solid, i will never use a hollow crank after my lx's again. And the race face dont have pinch bolts, its a press spline, similar ti ISIS, just better, because its not ISIS. ISIS is definatly an international standard.....of creaking. the cups are very thick, and i dont see anything happening to them, plus, u can get them in and out of the tool w/ and adjustable wrench, if the tool marks get messed up.

17. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

Just thought you guys would be interested in an update, after many crank arm stalls, pedal grinds and tons of abuse, the cranks are still going good, i have one, very small scratch in the left cup, still work perfectly

18. McQueen

McQueen Guest

I have a pair of the Race Face Diabolus Cranks on my bike and am anxious to get on them... the bike is currently on some down time... But I have already experienced dealing with RaceFace warranties on it, and they were unreal good at dealing with my problems... I e-mailed them about a problem with one of the bearing cups and another problem I had with the granny ring, and they sent out replacements for both without wanting to check out the damaged goods... absolutely awesome... downside is definitely the price, but so far, that is outweighed by all the goodness about them...

Also one of the major differences about the Saint system compared to the RaceFace setup is the Saint system is permanently attached to the drive side crank, so if you pooch it that's some serious coin gone... with RaceFace the non-drive side is only semi-permanently attached somehow and can be repaired if damaged... anyways, I'm stoked on them and cannot wait to ride them again.

19. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Are you trying to say that the Bonz cranks are stiffer than Profile SS arms?? Are you crazy, those thing use more material in weight than most trials Frames do. You must have had the only pair in the world that weren't stiff. They're quite possibly the burliest cranks on earth