Quick Question

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by lowside, Dec 12, 2004.

1. lowside

lowside eh?

Hey guys,

A norco TT rigid fork, 400mm, 7" steer tube; will this fit an 03 PX Jack Flash?

I was a little worried about the length of the steer tube, but I don't have the two to try it in person.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. uh... worried aboot the length of the steerer??? u can cut that u know...

3. Yurich

Yurich New Member

check the length of your head tube. it will fit only if it's 110mm or under

4. Yurich

Yurich New Member

by the way, Norco TT forks (ones with a ridge going along side each leg) are between 390-395mm, NOT 400. it feels like crap on some frames, due to that

5. lowside

lowside eh?

I'm worried it's too SHORT.

6. lowside

lowside eh?

7. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

If the headtube is that long, then the steerer tube on the fork will not be long enough. Besides the 5.25 headtube length of the frame, you have to take into consideration the stack height of the headset, no less than 30mm, and see how much room that will leave for the stem to clamp on to.

So, with 1.75" difference of the headtube and steerer tube, it won't be enough to accomodate the headset stack height and stem clamp height.

8. Yurich

Yurich New Member

if the headtube is 5.25" long, it will NOT work. remember, you have to add at least another inch for the headset cups/races/caps. that leaves less than an inch of steerer tube sticking out for the stem. apart from the fact that your headset will be coming loose about every 10 minutes, it would be simply dangerous to ride like that.

that's a tall ass headtube though :eek3:

9. Yurich

Yurich New Member

...or what Roman said

10. lowside

lowside eh?

hmm.

Well I found a 21mm headset, and my stem is 1.25" high, so I think i can just barely make it work safely.

edit- i had the guy who im buying the frame measure it, and he reports 4.75" for the head tube.

bizarre.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  11. Yurich

Yurich New Member

it should be easy enough to sell that fork off if it doesn't fit

12. Shipley

Shipley ..........

I've ridden that frame with that same fork and so has a friend who ended up buying it from me later using the same fork. The Head Angle is a bit steep with it so run a bit longer/higher of a stem and it'll slow the twitch down a bit. Otherwise if felt pretty good on there. Flexy fork, but it's still going and didn't get hurt when I learned to tap and some other front wheel stuff with it.
    Might work out if you're careful.. maybe get a headlock that runs from the underside of the fork through the top cap. Good luck..

13. lowside

lowside eh?

well the fork didnt work. i bought a kona project 2 fork for $30 and it works well and seems to be fairly stiff and fairly good!

I rode the bike for the first time today, god I love it.

however, I have a problem, see here: link