Quick fix for VP pedals or not?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by hophopsnap, Mar 22, 2004.

1. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

Hey, I was looking at my pedals (cheap VPs) and noticed that two of the bolts are missing, the ones that hold the outer cage on. I am missing the outside front and inside back. Is there a quick fix to solve this problem? Maybe some zipties or something? Any ideas or anyone run into this problem? Thanks

Nic

2. Elan

Elan steve french

umm..go to the hardware store and get some new ones...

3. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

worlds best fix for vp pedals- replace them with welgo mg-1's. go to the hardware store. the holes might be thrashed- they may need to be re-tapped (probably bigger) at a bike shop or something.

1 person likes this.
  4. Elan

Elan steve french

ahahaha. NAySAYER :rofl:

5. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

If you have one of those bolts you use on v-brake mounts or bottle mounts. Just force the sucker into the holes. It will make new threads for itself and never come off. If the threads are fucked in the pedals that is. If they are good just get a replacement screw and some loctite.

Edit: Oops. Sorry for bringing up an old topic. I forgot that I was using the search function.

6. dingus

dingus Member

Why do they always make magnesium pedals smaller? Look theyre light weight![and half the size]

I would have got some MG1s but pedals that size dont feel good to my feet, like my mag Azonic fusion- pos btw unless used for other than trials.

Vp's feel great, until theyre all bent to crap and not sharp anymore.
    One way to fight this is with the 7005 VPs that you can get through monty. These cages actually damage stuff, instead of you know.

Ok so yeah, you might just be able to replace them, but you may have to get bigger ones if the thread are damaged. In the future check those bolts often.

The shop I work at now does alot of BMX and thus has alot of cool platforms that Ill be trying out.... DiamondBack makes some sealed mag flats but still, theyre little compared to all the Al ones, shat

Peadals suck period, take em off your bike.

1 person likes this.
  7. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

A friend of mine made me a custom cage for my 18th. Its huge and really really grippy. Ill take a pic somtime.

8. Elan

Elan steve french

my new favorite: truvativ holzfeller. like $80 retail..poo. oh well, i cot them cheaper. only thing i can say is that they are huge..pins are kina small, but htat is fixable

1 person likes this.
  9. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

ok, the VP's are on the XC bike since i got those meat grinders..mad pinz

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

stop hitting things with your pedals.

11. digby

digby New Member

Ive done the zip tie thing before. Super ghetto, but it works, and it lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. When I used to run vps I would put loctite on all the bolts before I rode them. Instead of losing the bolt, the pedal body would eventually crack. Eventually you get tired of buying new pedals every couple of months. Ive got a pair of welgos now, same price but theyve lasted alot longer.

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

There are some things I check every time before I ride (or pretty often)... my chainring bolts, and my vp pedal bolts. Keeping them tight takes .2 seconds and lets them last indefinitely on my bad side, only ~8 months on my good foot though. Loctite is a good idea- it will sound funny, and wear off after enough time.

The wellgo's I run on my other bike, they are fantastic pedals...

1 person likes this.
  13. Elan

Elan steve french

how would you know?

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Because I've had them for over a year, and I actually used to ride it.

15. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

I recently ordered some new VPs and they should be here soon...

On my current ones a couple screws kept getting loose, so I would tighten them up, then they would get loose more frequently, and finally they stripped out completely. So I just routed a zip tie or two (i should of used wire) through the holes of the cages and pedal frame. After a while the zip ties broke and I didn't get around to replace them so I was riding with like only 2 out of 4 screws on my left VP pedal. And one ride the outside cage broke in half, so I duct taped the pedal so it is all intact and rideable. If I kept good screws and/or zip ties in the pedal, it would probobly be fine right now. Now I am just waiting for my new VPs.

My VPs came on my used monty so who knows how long they were used before me, probobly a while... i know i used them for quite a while before I had any problems.

Despite the things I have described above, I recommend VPs.

Even though vps aren't the most strong pedals out there, I really love them, and so do many others. They feel very good and have an insane grip to your feet. Plus they are very cheap ($22)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
    1 person likes this.
  16. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

Loctite the bolts as soon as you get the pedals! And tighten them up heaps. There, no probs

17. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

dont over tighten stripy stripy

18. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

well jsut do them up tight enough then. i have been through like 4 pairs of VPs and the bolts have never come loose or stripped etc.. weird

19. Darren

Darren New Member

the axel on my back foot vp is bent, whats a good, cheap, light pedal?

20. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

VP's :Wavey:

If you want platform just try and find some generic cheap ones. They have a brand called Mosh over here in australia. If they have them there they go ok and are cheap cheap.