Question about Ups

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by B1105, Apr 22, 2004.

1. B1105

B1105 New Member

Ok, I used the search function and couldn't find anything related to this.

Ok, when doing an up, I always start maybe 3-4 bike lengths away. I can up about 2 ft now, but have come to like a barrier. In order to increase my up height, it seems I need more speed, so when approaching the object, I try and get a few more pedal rotations in. The problem is that when i go to do my last pedal rotation with my non-choco foot(right for me), i can't seem to get enough torque(or whatever causes resistance) to bring up my front wheel and complete the up. Is this because my gear is too high (22-19) or am I doing something wrong? I cant seem to figure out WTF is going on.

Thanks

Byron

2. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

try to like squat before the up and just jump when you pedal up. like throw yourself up and tuck into the bike over the rear wheel. i dunno just mess with jumping your body and throwing your bike infront of yourself ;)

3. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

you dont necassarily need to start farther away. you can start in the same spot but use better technique. when you watch guys do ups you will probably notice they are kind of crouched down right up until their last pedal stroke or two. your weight being lower will mean you will have more upward explosive force when you take off. you can also just mash down and torque harder on the pedals in the same run up.

i had this exact same problem you are having not too long ago. one thing that helped me was to get my wheel off the ground while i felt like i still had enough torque to do so. i felt like i was toping out my gear too far away- exactly what you are saying (i think?) so if you get your front wheel up farther away but still keep it fairly low, i found i could get higher up. it felt unnnatural to pull up that far away but just spreading the take off out longer can make a difference.

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

yea that is correct kevin, but it seems harder to lift my front wheel up for a longer period of time. so wait, i dont need the extra speed to get higher? I was watching the rider Craig sponsored by ZOO! and it looks like his ups are effortless and have little run up space.

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

a lot of why solid riders make stuff look effortless is because of their experience. how many ups have you done? how many have they done? probably many many many times more. it come swith time- trust me.

as for keeping your front wheel up longer (farther away from the object)... keeping your weight low and farther back will help make this easier and help your upward motion. try holding a really low wheelie for a few pedal strokes- it's that same basic motion.

6. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

well, im not sure if i can relate too much to the speed thing, as i find i like less speed as oppesed to more more speed. my highest ups i do 1/2 pedal rotation (non choco, then choco and up), if necessary, i might start from a slow roll before doing the 1/2 pedal rotation.
    anyways, something that helped me a lot just recently, was just before i do the 1/2 pedal rotation, is to get my ass over the rear tyre. then, as i start pedaling, move my hips forward, just in time to finish my pedal rotation, and get up. from there, throw the bike in front of you. that really helped me, the only thing is you need to figure out how to get your weight forward, especially if you're doing slaps. just practice, you'll be fine.
    so yea, try and be more efficient with the speed you have, as opposed to getting more and more speed, especially in comps, where there won't be much run up.

7. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

if you use a full pedal stroke to get your front wheel up, it is much much easier, pretty much as kevin said.

8. B1105

B1105 New Member

so i do complete pedal stroke to get the front up, then another small one with the non choco foot to get the bike up?

9. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

no. start good foot, then bad foot, then good foot and up to rear. get up the front wheel on the down stroke of your bad foot. something like that, dont' take this and write it in stone. i don't even know what i do, i just do it.

10. MegamoMidwest

MegamoMidwest chicago crew

learn to surge up 7ft walls and youll do fine.

shutup im tired.