Quando Rear Hub Question

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialsbug, Aug 26, 2004.

1. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

Has anyone here taken apart a Quando mod hub or replaced the bearings?

The reason I am asking this is because I am wondering if there is anything inside the hub that supports the inner bearing race when the wheel is installed. Hubs with ball bearings have cones with nuts to prevent the bearings from being sideloaded when the wheel is installed, but the Quando hubs on the rear of my Team only have spacers with a set screw. I don't see how this spacer can prevent the bearings from being sideloaded unless there is a sleeve inside the hub between the drive and non-drive bearings.

2. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

the last quando mod hub I saw had sealed bearings. Guess that doens't help you.

- Joel

3. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Yep, you're right, there should by rights(not by design on your hub maybe) be some sort of spacer, similar to the one in a profile BMX bottom bracket. There are a few products on the market that neglect this fact. You can simply make one for your hub out of a small piece of tubing. The only thing stopping you from doing so might be the inner diameter of your hub shell. The bearings would benefit from a sleeve to prevent them from sideloading I'm sure. Also, if the axle measurements are the same , you can just replace yours with a Standard Axle("Standard" the BMX brand, not just meaning "Standard") from a bike shop. The "Standard" axles are by far much stronger than anything used in trials bike hubs. Check them out, they're worth the extra couple of bucks for thier strength

4. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

I am not concerned about adding support to the bearings in my hub. I am considering making a hub with the same width as the Quando, but with a disc mount. As long as I keep the same width as the Quando hub I can use all of the Quando internals in the new hub and all I need to design is the hub shell.

Attached Files:

5. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Quando....are they generic? They seem to come on ALOT of Target and WalMart bikes. So does Shimano, but Shimano doesn't put even like SIS hubs on thier crappy bikes.....

6. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

Like Shimano, Quando makes many different levels of hubs. I am not interested in the Quando hub because of quality. I am looking for the least expensive option for putting a disc on the rear of my mod. The only option that I have found have been a King hub or a Profile hub, but they are both very expensive.

I would like to keep my WI front free wheel, but I can't find a rear disc hub for a mod that allows me to use a 12 tooth cog.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

7. felix

felix New Member

Echo made a rear disc hub for the first series of the EM2 .
    I got one of these hubs for 15 Euro.

8. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

Do you happen to know how far the disc mount was spaced off of the axel spacer on the non-drive side? If it is 15mm then it will work with the standard IS mount spacing which is my plan for this hub (unless I can just buy one).

9. durkie

durkie Member

hey chuck. i have taken apart the quando hub and there is nothing supporting the inner bearing race. have you looked at just a standard freewheel hub? i know for sure that there are free/disc versions, and i believe white industries even makes one. i don't know what axle length mods use, but that should be the smaller of concerns.

10. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

Craig,
    Thanks for the bearing info. This makes the hub easier to produce because I don't have to worry about the internals and I can just use off-the-shelf bearings like the Quando hub uses.

I looked at the ENO Disc hub. It has a disc mount and threads for a free wheel, but it is setup for 135mm spacing. If I want to follow the IS disc mount dimensions I need the disc mounting surface to be a specific distance from the non-drive dropout/spacer connection. Even if the ENO disc hub could be used on a mod with different axel spacers the disc mounting surface would still be in the incorrect location. Does this make sense?

Here is the source of my disc locating dims:
    http://www.avidbike.com/7_techinfo/04%20disc%20fit%20info.pdf

11. felix

felix New Member

The distance of a Echo hub is 15mm

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  12. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

If I were looking for a fixed rear disc hub spaced for a mod I would give brisa a call. They're the experts at all of this rear disc business.
    Phone: (248) 974-7303
    (248) 960-1634

13. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

I wonder if thats a joke or not....

14. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

ummm, ive figured out all the rear dic stuff, if anyone cares to know, message or IM me, i have like 4 differnt ways it will work, but none of the bike companies want to take the chance

15. besham

besham Guest

I dont know if this will help at all , but you should have no problems running a bmx hub. When I blew my quando out I just used a regular bmx hub on my monty. they are a few milimeters different and you have to squeeze it in but it fits quite nice. But I dont think Ive seen a bmx with disc mounts anyways. good luck