Pro Training Regimens

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Sonic, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

Im curious to hear what some of you know about pro training. Ill post what Ive heard are some training plans, correct me or add if you can.

Jeremy V. - light weight training, one day of hard riding, one day of tech riding, good diet, etc.

Cous bros - lots of pasta and ride every day

Ryan Leech (I know, not a competitor) - demos, pretty much ride everyday, heavy tea drinker

I had Spring Break last week and tried the ride everyday method and it seemed to help me improve a lot very quickly. The only downside was that after my last ride on Sunday at Big Rocks Park I pretty much was exhuasted and slept all of that night, slept in Monday, and slept most of Monday night and evening. Which is typical though, after a week of working out youre supposed to have one day of rest.

Any additions? I know we could all go over to bt.com and search for all of Jim V.'s posts on training, he's published a lot, but what do you know about other competitors.

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

ride all the time, from when you are young.

aka, not fucking possible to reach those levels for 90% of us.

Trials is all technique, I could give fuck all what people have to say about weight training. The best riders in the world don't lift or any bullshit like cross train. I know people who can sidehop a foot higher than I can, and squat probably 2x as much but can't get through a comp.

3. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

it depends on your weekness.

if you struggle with making it through a comp., work on overall endurance training. interval training is a great way to simulate trials comps.

in terms of weight training, there are a ton of methods! basically, you want to focus on intensity and endurance. and dont waste your time in a gym the whole week. focus on ridng more. with that said, im usually in a gym 2 times a week. i think jeremy is in the gym once a week.

recovery time is key! you need to give your body time to recover. there are pro body builders who might lift once every 2 weeks.

just make sure you have a good trainer who knows the circumstances and what you are trying to accomplish.

try to focus on all muscle groups, with intensity and endurance being the main priority

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Good advice mike- no matter what you do always make sure to give yourself recovery time....eat well and sleep well are just as important, if not more, than training/riding well. The cooses just ride every day, thats all they do- they eat and sleep and ride. For a long time thats what they have done, they are pretty impressive riders. Time is all you need to become pro.

5. Sonic

Heh, I wasnt really asking for advice, just curious, that's what bored at work does to ya. Thanks though. :p

6. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

I'm not pro but I've gotten a lot better with this regimen.

Work out at work,watch videos at work, drink booze at work ,pay attention on the forums ,listen to those who know, don't say shit unless you know,or have something funny to say.Stay hydrated ,stay drunk,
    use a little ampetamines when your tired from riding........

WHAT!

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I've noticed a great increase in endurance if I ejaculate at least 7 times a day, by my own doing or anothers.

8. Sonic

Hmm, I have gotten better since married, hmmmm... :rofl: :ugh: :barf:

9. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

the only way you'll get better at riding, is... uhm... riding.

Nothing wrong with a gym, but its not making you a better rider. As someone said above... workout at work.

10. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

7 times a day? Nice. Enjoy it while you can.

11. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

But seriosly folks.......

I've gotten a lot stronger on certain moves by figuring what I use and focusing on that area.
    I lift pussy weights cuz I don't have a big set.

I try and do 50x 40lb. jumping plyo type squats 4 times a day.Fast enough to make you wanna puke but not so fast that it's not a smooth motion.
    50x 50 lb bench preses 4x daily,again fast enough to make you get some endurance workout.Once it's starting to burn ,extend up and lower
    reeeealy slowly,try to make each neg take about 30 seconds ,do that
    about 5 times.
    Also leaning over like a toe touch, or a "hit me from the back side"position
    do a bunch of lifts of the bar from the floor really quick.Don't fuck your back on this .
    Most inportantly from my untrained self..Mark your bar at handlebar width.
    In addition If any of you ride a road bike to crosstrain, here's a workout....put it on E-bay and sell that gay P.O.S.!

12. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

i cant stress how wrong this is. some riders dont do serious weight training. by some i mean i only know of a limited few.

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I was talking about the coos brothers only, note best riders in the world atm (uci is implied :rofl: )

Its pretty clear that ppl like benito and mark "34 inch wide quads" hoesel work out.

14. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

actualy neither of them do. they just walk everywhere because gas is too expensive to drive in europe.

you have to do weight training in order to get a base strength, then you can ride your bike all day for technique. im not a coach.

15. AndyT

AndyT New Member

how about steroids? Can trialscoach help me out? I'm lazy.

16. vince

vince Member

50 reps of 50lbs? thats crazy. Same with the plyometric squats. I do the squats with 90lbs, 3 sets of 10. I'm sore for a couple days after, similar to a newly aquainted inmate. From Andrew's videos you can tell that he doesn't care about working out. :eek3danc:
    I started doing forearm and wrist curls, similar to bicep curls. Can't wait to see how they pay off. I notice a huge difference in my leg strength for ups too. But my sidehops are still lame, so it proves that technique is just as important. But if they were combined. :bigthumb:
    I think riding less is better as long as it remains high quality. If you're riding all the time your body gets to sore to progress.imo

17. AndyT

AndyT New Member

:ugh:

I spent ~3 hours a day in the gym for 3 years back in high school...never rode trials then so that doesn't really matter lol. I have plenty of strength just from riding, you'd be suprised...

18. Elan

Elan steve french

he is a skinny fucker, but hes strong.ahaha

19. AndyT

AndyT New Member

robbie gets me into the gym every now and then, in high school I could bench 25 pnds over my weight (135 lbs- would rep 160 x 8 or so). Now I can rep like 135 pounds 10 times and weigh 165 :rolleyes:

My current "physique" is only due to trials for the last few years, when I go back to the gym I can see this as my legs are strong, and my back is very very strong. I lifted for 3 months last year, under jim's training schedule- it helped out a lot...I just don't have the dedication to go to the gym now when its 70 degrees outside, so I concentrate on technique.

20. AndyT

AndyT New Member

like a greek god!!

[​IMG]

:rofl: I can't believe i just posted this