Preventing ffw cranks from threading>

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by will4eva7k, Oct 29, 2004.

1. will4eva7k

will4eva7k TrialsDEN.com

Hi

My younger bro's gettin his new echo pure and he will be running the stock echo front freewheel cranks with an acs freewheel.
    Im not familiar with front freewheels, and I have also read about many problems the echo cranks have about threading, but i havent found an answer if there is a way to reduce the possibility of them threading.
    Would loctiting (blue loctite?) it or is there something else to put on the threads prior to installing the freewheel? What may happen? Would it strip if you want to take if off if it has been loctited? Please help
    So if anyone knows or has found a solution that helps or works, please share your knowledge or experiences

Sorry for the long post

Thanks in advance

2. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

i found from reading that buying new cranks works nice. :)

3. will4eva7k

will4eva7k TrialsDEN.com

that fine solution came across my mind, but it is a new bike, and it would be good there is a way to have he use it for he longest time possible, before saving up and investing in some new cranks :wiggle:

4. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

haha, i know i was just kidding.

5. dookie

dookie Guest

freewheel & loctite

If you are using an ACS Claw, you should use Loctite on the threads of the piece that preloads the bearings on the freewheel. I'll call it the preloader. Loosen the preloader. It has two holes in it that allow you to loosen it with a spanner wrench. (you may need a special spanner wrench: one of the old bottom bracket spanners should work) Clean the threads to remove grease. Put some Loctite on the threads, then snug it up, not too tight. Make sure the bearings still spin freely. Biketrial.com has some instructions on this. Go to Biketrial.com, then click on "Trials Tech" on the left hand side of the page, then click "How do I keep my freewheel from coming loose".

I used blue Loctite on mine, and it eventually came loose, so I'd recommend red Loctite.

As far as the freewheel coming loose from the crank, you could Loctite that as well. Blue if you think the crank will outlast the freewheel, or Red if you don't ever plan to remove it! You will need a freewheel installation tool to do this. You can buy a Park tool for about $15, or borrow it from your LBS.

Wasn't the problem with Echo cranks that the threads were poor quality and undersized, where you would thread on the freewheel and you could wiggle it pretty good on the threads? You may want to use a different Loctite product if that is the case. Some of their thread repair stuff or retaining compound. Threadlockers don't work too well if the threads are sloppy.

Good luck!

Dan

6. UNDPilot

UNDPilot Guest

there is no need, that i can see, for any one to use loctite on the threads between your freewheel and the crank. as you pedal it will always be tightening. i actually used park polylube on the threads so that i can get it off later when the freewheel needs maintanence.

also, you wont need a freewheel tool to put it on. you will need one to take it off. you can thread it on by hand and by pedaling it will self tighten. good luck!

7. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

Craig Pearce still runs the stock echo cranks fine, who has actually striped them apart from bigman?

8. netto

netto New Member

i bent mine
    they're so beeeent

9. Lagerhead

Lagerhead New Member

My Echo FFW cranks stripped the pedal threads. (non drive side)

The freewheel threads were so tight, Loctite would have dried before I got it all the way on. (I used Park Polylube 100)

If you remove the Preloader ring from your freewheel, make sure it's laying flat on a workbench of some sort, lest a few kabillion canute's and widgets fall out.

10. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

pretty much every pair of the stock ones died here. i still have a pair, if not the only ones left then fairly close to it.

why don't you just not buy the echo ones and get a new, better crank? when mine touches a rock it's like grating cheese off my cheese crank.

11. will4eva7k

will4eva7k TrialsDEN.com

yeah, new cranks may come soon
    but as the cranks are coming with the bike, im just thinking of having them put to use for as long as possible before investing in new cranks
    my bro and i are pretty broke at the moment so yeah.. :ugh:

the cranks will be running an acs freewheel, but i may just take it off and get white industries eno trials coz (they are so sweet) theres a shop really close to me that sells them, and hopefully they have them in stock

i've got blue loctite, and i've seen pink loctite (which is stronger?)

every pair in NZ died? ..that doesnt sound good

craig pearce runs them and are fine, well that sounds good enough to me :bigthumb:

12. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

echo makes me laugh sometimes :hsugh: