Praciting gaps

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by maciekzw, May 12, 2004.

1. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

2. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Not to sound like a dick you do not look very comfortable on the bike. Relax a little. Bend your arms a bit and get your weight a littler further back. You look very stiff on the bike.

That will help your overall backwheel skills. Some may argue with those tips though, but for general backwheel balance I have a pretty lazy style.

In terms of gapping further...dude you are surly! you are taking off from the middle of the pallet. Use a little more precision in your pedal kicks to take yourself closer to the edge and then you will nearly double the size of that gap!

3. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Don't worry man, throw all your shit at me man. I wanna hear what you and others have to say. Thing with getting closer to the edge is that even if it's a 2 foot high whatever, I tend to look down to see how close I am and then I screw up. And you are right, I'm not exactly 100% comfortable with back wheel hopping yet. I'm getting better, but I need you and others to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

4. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

thats not gap practice, your doing pedalkicks on the vid.

here is what to do.
    make the gap bigger, so that you barely can make it. Dont pedalckig to the gap, the pallet is big enough to trackstand on it, then go to rear, bhw a few times and gap when you´re ready. If you can make it through the gap almost all the time, make the gap bigger.

5. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

get a bit more comfortable on your back wheel. do this by trackstanding on two pallets stacked, going in to rear wheel and just dropping controlled off the edge. by controlled i mean practice pedalkicking right up to the edge (right up to the edge) and stabilising your balance at the edge so you can drop off without going to the left/right when you do. every second time, pedalkick up to the edge (right up to the edge) and then stabilise, but then go backwards again to end up in the trackstand you were just in. practice gapping along with this, using the same theory - kick close to the edge, hop around for a second while eyeing up the gap, then kick over the gap.

i'm saying this because you were just where i was once - "i'm pedalkicking now, and so fuck the backhopping". so you're putting your weight over the front. and the advice above is what helped me a hell of a lot to gain my balance properly. i just thought it up one day to practice my balance, and it worked better than any other advice anyone had given me.

about your position on the bike - everyone backhops differently but i have found that i can balance best when i have my elbows close to my body, front wheel high, legs bent a little and hunched over - just a tad. observe here, me on the left:
    [​IMG]
    relax some more, it should come when you get your position on the bike a bit better

i hope that helps :)

6. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Focus on dropping your ass lower on the bike. and when you are back hopping focus on bringing your bars closer towards you.

Your current position is legs almost staight and arms almost straight and leaning over the bars.

Watch TRA vids and compare his position when he is on the back wheel compared to yours you will see what I mean.

Hope that helped. Good luck.

7. kamil

kamil Guest

you may wanna wear a helmet. it seems like whenever you are trying to learn something new or pushing yourself in terms of magnitude you are more likely to eat shit. thats my point. good effort with the gaps.

8. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Yeah, good tips so far. Don't get so carried away with the foreward momentum. Lean farther back and just take the time to hop and get your balance back. It will help your precision alot too. You've got the kicks down well though, so with some precision practise, you'll be rockin.

9. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

just get used to hoping on the backwheel more, first. it looks like you're not too comfortable. spend more time getting used to backwheel balance, so you can hop in ONE SPOT. i stress the one spot because i have a friend who is learning trials. he can get about 10-15 hops. HOWEVER, he moves about 10 feet forward and 4 feet to the left, even though he's trying to stay in place. now, he can't fix it, so when he tries a gap, he is unable to get close to the edge etc. if i was you, i would spend some time on trying to hop in a 1 foot by 1 foot area, so you can get comfortable and be accurate. then, once you got that down pretty well, then you can start gapping.
    oh yea, work on lots of natural. problem i found out the other day-most sport riders can just barely backwheel. i am way behind on natural skills. for the past 3 days, all i have done is ridden rocks, and no backwheel moves on the rocks. it helps...... a LOT.

10. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great tips. I usually do wear a helmet, this time I didn't since I only had one pallet on the ground. I feel weird without a helmet anyway.

I see what you guys are saying. I do have to work on my back wheel hopping in one spot. I guess that's the main thing.

One question tho, do you guys thing that changing a STEM would improve overall performance. I mean, make it easier? Someone told me to get a shorter stem with higher rise? How much difference would that make? Right now I have an Echo stem and bars. Not sure what rise.

What do you guys think? (AND THANKS!)

11. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Typically a lower front end will make it easier to hop in one place. Longer stem also helps I think. But it also makes it harder to pull the bike up. Which is why long bikes with low front ends sucks to bunnyhop with.

12. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Thanks maciek for starting this thread, and AgrAde especially for your response. You pointed out a major difference between excellent riders and newer ones- the position of the elbows. Keeping the elbows directly at your sides or only slightly ahead of you gives you a ton more control and balance.

13. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

That is so true. This is going off topic a little but I have huge problems pulling up my front while coasting. Ever since I switched from raiser bars to the flat buldge bar. I cannot do it at all. I can barely lift my front wheel up on the curb while coasting.

Maybe changing the stem would make a big difference... :dunno:

14. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

I will definately try that when I go riding tomorrow. I find that when I first started doing back wheel hops (like mentioned in a previous reply) I would have my arms totally straight. I did not have much control. I'm getting better now, but I will try the arms close to your body tip and see how it goes. I'll keep you guys updated, and once again, thanks for all your tips. You guys rock! :bowdown: