Please review my Raven build up plan...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialspads, Nov 30, 2004.

1. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Ok this will be my first actual trials specific bike after riding my dirtjumper for a year.

Here are the list. Some parts I'm using from my dirtjumper.

Transferring from old bike:
    BB - Race Face Chromo (square taper) (if it fits)
    Crank - Race Face LP carbon (if it fits)
    Pedal - Sun/Ringle Zu Zu
    Stem - Thomson 115mm
    Handlebar - Azonic World Force riser 2"
    Front wheel - XT disc hub & Rhynolite rim + Hot S tire

Planning to buy:
    Brake levers - Avid SD's
    Brakes - Avid mech front & Avid v's rear
    Hub - Chris King with steel shell
    Rim - Alex DX32 or maybe Try-all pre-drilled
    Tire - Michelin Comp 24.2?
    Fork - PX Superlight
    Headset - FSA Pig DH
    Grips - Oury (I need lots of padding for my crippled hand)
    Chains - SRAM PC-99 hollow
    Crank - FSA v-drive (if the old one isn't wide enough)
    BB - Try-all or FSA of some sort

Also can someone explain to me about the fun bolts & the axle option they have with CK hub? Are they worth paying extra???

Thanks :) I'll probably upgrade the parts here and there like the front wheel but for now I think this will be a good setup?

2. willapaj

willapaj New Member

you might have issues running V's on a tryall rim, because's it's so wide... unless the stays on the BT are really really far apart.

3. Ross

Ross New Member

I have not heard good things about Avid brake levers, except for the Ultimates. If you can afford it, go XTR.

4. Raub

Raub Guest

Stay away from that chain too . . . .

I suggest buying a KMC 710 (if you're running single speed) or the 810 (8 speed version of that chain) - both are strong and reliable.

P.S. Unless they've sorted out the clearance problems, I'd keep to the DX32, as the 47mm would just be way too big, plus they're pretty shitty rims in the first place.

5. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Get the DX-32 and the V's will fit..........plus the DX-32 is stonger and cheaper than the Tryall......not to mention how much better it is for grinding.

As far as avid V goes the best bang for the buck would be the SD-7.........and yes go for the XTR levers if you can afford it...well worth it.

How tall are you?? you might find that stem too long. I dunno?

Tryall foam grips provide lots of padding but they are skinnier than the OURY's which might be better for your hand.

sry for all this, just some things I noticed.

6. dookie

dookie Guest

Yeah, get the XTR levers. If you buy them as a set, you get the good XTR brake cable with them!

I believe that the fun bolts and axle are more "heavy duty" than a QR. The bolts do a better job of clamping the wheel to the frame. (or so I've heard...no actual experience with fun bolts)

7. 61

61 Guest

fun bolts

def. worth it. you will notice the dif. ...well at least i did. the thing is i rebuilt my wheel the same time i got the bolts so:hs: . if you can get em cheap do it.
    end scene.

8. trialspads

Not at all, I need all the input before I put the order in. I'm 5'11" and weigh about 200 lbs. So shorter stem would be better for control? I might try to find the XTR levers on eBay... I'll look into the triall grip :)

Oh I see. I'll have to check into this as well. Hub and the drive train is not something I'm going cheap on.

Oh ok...I'll probably run three rings just so I can get around. Single speed was nice but it's pain in the ass going anywhere.

9. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Well you might feal too stretched out on the BT with such a stem........I know a friend of mine "Bloudhound" on this site who thought that was too long for the BT 5.0 and wants something shorter, and he's taller than you so....

I think you'd be good enough with a 105x17or7 Tryall stem........

10. trialspads

K. I'll probably put it on & see how it feels, if not I'll definitely get a shorter stem. I think it was 115mm...I don't remember exactly I'll probably need to measure it again.

11. Elan

Elan steve french

DX-32 for V brakes is a defiante must

never get avid SD levers unless they are ultimate black ops, even shimano XT levers are better than the most expensive non-ultimate avid lever.

2.2 should be a perfect tire for you.

i havent heard much good or bad about the Try-all, but hte FSA is a proven BB. not sure on retail cost of either either though. be sure to get a 123 or 128 mm. wider=better.

i think thats all i can add to this thread

12. Elan

Elan steve french

oh yea. with raceface LP cranks, you will DEFINATELY need a wide ass BB, the non-drive crank has virtually no offset so its a pain in hte ass with anything else.

also, what brake arms are you getting? id recommend hte sd-5 or the base level sd-7. dont waste money on sd-7 Ti or any of that shit, it doesnt help power what so ever. make sure you get a good cable (XTR is $18 i believe) and good pads. koolstop salmons or plaz crv

13. B1105

B1105 New Member

go FSA bb, get like a Platinum DH pro, like $50-60 or so?

14. trialspads

I don't know if I hit a shitty XT lever but where the cable hooks in the lever, it started to stick out & locked up the lever at times...but I guess I'll go with either XTR or the ultimate...about the same price I see online. I love ultimate's design :)

I was afraid of that...the old BB is 113mm I believe...and Raven said it needs 128mm although when I matched the frame together on the BB side there seems to be no clearance issue...if not I'll have to get a wider BB and use the same crank since it's holding up pretty well.

I was thinking SD-7. Yep I have set of XTR cables :) Most likely I'll go with the koolstop.

15. Elan

Elan steve french

the good thing about ultimates is that htye will last for ever. sealed cartridge bearings, and powerful as fuck... great lever.

16. B1105

B1105 New Member

kool stops work, but if you grind hard, they wear out in like 3 days(or mine did). go for the plaz spanish fly(for clearance) or CRV for kickass power

17. trialspads

:eek: wow 3 days? LOLOL. Guess I'll try the other ones

Ya the last lever was a cheap $40 Avid levers (from the LBS) which broke in half when my bike flipped forward. Almost pierced my hand through it but luckily I had gloves on.

18. trialspads

Elan, why would wider would be better in terms of riding?

19. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

20. B1105

B1105 New Member

YEa, as stated already, if you can, get XTs or XTRs, worth it over the normal Avids.

But yea, I had the Kools Stop Salmons for 3 days before I started braking with the plastic backing. The CRVs have been working for like 5 months and still have a ton of life left, and harsh grinds every 2 weeks or so. I am now on the Spanish Flies for clearance on my Woodman.