Play in avid caliper?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by jmkimmel, Aug 10, 2004.

1. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

I'm thinking about trading a set of older xt discs (four-pot kind that I've been complaining about on this forum) for a set of 6" avids (complete with NIB avid stock pads and crap levers). My question is this: the brakes are only 2 months old, but they're on some kid's FR/DJ bike, so I don't know what they've been through. The calipers look OK, but the red part that turns (the cylinder behind the pad on the outside) has a little play in it - just kind of moves around a bit. Is this supposed to happen, or should that part of the brake be tight?
    Second question - are the front and rear calipers the same?
    Third question - do y'all think this trade is a good idea?

FYI - my xt discs go for about 100 apiece on cambria, etc.

Thanks -

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

if you hate your xt's then getting rid of them is not a bad idea. so yeah- trade them off. all calipers are the same, only the adaptors change for the avids. the red dials for the pad adjustment can move and have play, no biggie. you can get new ones too, they arent exactly bank busting items. i think they go for like 5 bucks each from a shop. chances are his spokes have clipped the dial and loosened up their fit. the xt's can work well but the avids are so much better of a trials brake that it is hard to me to not recomend them to everyone.

3. B1105

B1105 New Member

sounds like a good trade, i just saw a dude selling a used set of 165 avids on ridemonkey for 70 if your interested, i was thinking of jumping on it, but i need to finish my downhill bike or sell my zebdi

good luck and i think those brakes willdefinitley be an improvement over the shimanos, at least for trials

4. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

Thanks guys - I'm gonna give him a call. New bike part to install - so hot right now.

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member