Plastic/nylon bash guard

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by DaleM, Aug 25, 2004.

1. DaleM

DaleM Guest

I have a friend in a smaller town who wants to set up his bike with a plastic/ballistic Nylon bash guard. The town is small so it would not be hard for the police to pin bash ring marks on him.

He is currently in the market for a new set of cranks and the bash ring will be a major factor in his decision making process.

I know he wants 165mm cranks and plans on running a 20-22 chainring.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. durkie

durkie Member

you can get reasonably thick polycarbonate from someplace like mcmaster.com and just drill some holes and cut it yourself. i wouldn't worry about it being too fancy because you're just going to mash it up anyways. i wouldn't go with anything less than a quarter inch, and put some big washers on the chainring bolts to distribute the load as best you can.

3. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

it would be way big, but the e 13 is nice...

4. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

e-13 + lathe = golden

5. atypical

atypical Guest

Onlinemetals.com has plastics too. What if you just got a Middleburn 13mm thick bashguard and mounted some tire tread around it? Just tap some holes and countersink the bolts.

6. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

oh, and by the way, the cops dont care if your bash guard is plastic, atleast around here.....

7. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

e 13 is also making a smaller version...i saw some pics of it on lenoskys bike...

8. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

they are making a small street sized bashring- not really a trials specific one. unless something has changed- i dont know.

9. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Don't forget about the pedals, It'd be really easy to just cut a piece of plexi glass and screw it onto one side of the pedal. This side of the pedal would also then be heavier and always hang downwards. I doubt it would ever get in the way. As for the bashie, I have no idea what to do there.

Bill

10. WhiteRavenKS

they make lexan grind plates that you can bolt onto your pedals. i think dan's comp has them- they run like 10 bucks.

(does atomic still make those shitty plastic pedals? god i hated those things...)

11. B-boy

B-boy New Member

e13's site says "4-104 for Trials (22T)" is all that is available. If that'll fit, that'd be golden too

12. WhiteRavenKS

they never made that. at least not as of last month.

13. B1105

B1105 New Member

go to a machine shop and just have them build u a custom bash, probably less than $20

14. brokenbike

brokenbike New Member

for a while I was running a bash guard made out of a cut out and drilled 79 cent plastic cutting board from walmart. it rocked, and held up really well.

15. giventofly

giventofly I like Hops

try these....they'd be strong

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  16. trialsmasta

trialsmasta Guest

Might work for urban but it you ever need to grip with your bashring, you are better off with aluminum.