Planet X welds.....

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Jul 19, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I remember there being a post a couple months back about the quality of PX welds...browsin around, I found some pics of the Ghost...these welds look crazy:

[​IMG]

Think thier weld issue has been fixed? Although there is no way to judge the penetration of the weld, they atleast look clean as hell.....well, cept for that ONE splatter on the top tube/neck reinforcement...

2. Cory

Cory Guest

That bead along the down tube isn't a weld, it is formed into the aluminum.

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Well, that's pretty shitty, that's the main one I was refering to....crap....

4. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

i thoguth i read somewhere that a couple "welds" on the new frames were actually stickers

5. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

Like Cory said, it's not a real weld. The downtube on the Ghost frame is hydroformed, with the fake weld bead formed into it as well. The "weld" is pretty much for looks, since the bend in the tube would have looked sort of weird.

6. oicdn

oicdn Guest

That's pretty fuckin lame......

7. Tanner

Tanner New Member

yeah, thats perfect bead placement. Not to say that you can't make a real weld look like that, but, I've seen many a weld, and, well, that just looks fake. The headtube/tube conjunction looks pretty solid. Maybe a little sloppy at the toptube/downtube joint, but you have to keep in mind it's not easy to fit a #8 gas cup and filler rod in there.

8. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i didnt know that it was hydro formed in....thats pretty cool, thats the first comment i get on my zebdi is how cool the downtube is. As far as the reast of the welds, theyre a little big, but theyre very smooth......

9. Tanner

Tanner New Member

What the fuck are you talking about?! Have you EVER TIG welded aluminum?

10. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

no, ive only weld steel, and i was refering the the rest of the welds on px bikes.....the chainstay and seatstay/dropout welds are near perfect....

11. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Yeah, on steel, you'll get a small bead. On aluminum, you get a big bead. That make sense?

12. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, i knew that.....im assuming you (personally, you, not you in general), can weld aluminum....

I would like to start welding aluminum, how much different is it?

13. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Yeah, I can TIG weld aluminum. Anyways, its not much harder. Add the filler rod quickly, get a rhythm, and move a bit faster.

14. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

cool...i started learning to weld steel, because i want a steel frame.....

steel is so much simplier

15. B1105

B1105 New Member

yea, is frame builiding something that require alot of investment/learning? i too am interested in welding either steel or alum, but have no knowledge/materials

16. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Well, you have to have mastered TIG welding, and mastering TIG means mastering Oxyfuel welding. Basically, you need to be able to weld VERY well, and have materials. The welder I have to weld/reweld frames cost $3000. Its a miller dynasty 200DX. A lot of cash you'll drop on a welder, and tubing isn't cheap either. not to mention frame jigs.