planet-x vs. gusset!! final round!

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by seattletrials, Aug 5, 2004.

1. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

I'm running a surly 1x1 fork for trials, its too flexy. but it was cheap so its not too bad. anyways. I'm getting a new fork. I have two options. one is a gusset trials fork. its about 3.7lbs and has an axle to crown length of about 403. and I can get it for about 100 bucks. another option is the planet x kniffen lite which weighs almost the same has an axle to crown length of about 435 and is more along the lines of 140 bucks. I just want to know if you think its worth the extra 40 bucks to get the planet x over the gusset. if anyone has any suggestions on what is better let me know. they both look exactly the same design wise. This fork will be going on a desalvo trials frame with i believe is designed around a 405mm fork.

2. Elan

Elan steve french

why are these your only options?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2004

3. bwagner

bwagner New Member

other possibilities??

explore your other options before plunking down your cash for either of these forks. They look exactly the same because chances are that they're the same exact fork. Planet X and Gusset both have thier products fabricated for them by some manufacturer, they both buy the same fork, and just label it with thier brand decals most likely. I'm not some all knowing bike genius or anything, but thats how this industry works. I've worked at shops for the past 16-17 years of my life, and I've been to a lot of trade shows, most stuff is mass produced and by the same manufacturer if it looks exactly the same, otherwise the first company would sue the second one for infringement(in SOME cases, lets not start a thread on copying) .Hope this helps a bit, but explore your options. There are a ton of nice forks out there.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2004
  4. BrettM

BrettM New Member

If you are looking at the knifen light I thought it only came in 400 mm and weighed nothing close to 3.7 pounds. Mine weighs 2.2 and is the 400 mm model. There is nothing wrong with the fork aside from its questionable looks.

5. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

That's what I thought too, you might be thinking of the long version of the regular knifen. Bear in mind that the "superlight" is the PX fork you should be after, it's not super light, but it is hella strong and stiff.

- Joel

6. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, the planet x kniffen and the gusset are the exact same fork that have an axle to crown of 404mm and weigh in at 1600g, the kniffen is also avail in a 435mm axle to crown and weighs in at 1675g.

the kniffen superlight comes in 404mm at 950g or 420mm at 990g.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

the superlight is a pretty good fork...still a little heavy compared to my zoo though. AHA

but seriously. the eho urban fork is comparable to the PX fork, and looks a lot better for sure. and its lighter i bet.

8. dookie

dookie Guest

9. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

but the bike shop i'm getting the fork from isn't a zoo/koxx/echo dealer. and i don't want to suport online shops, i know the guys at my lbs and i want to suport them. and i like the way the planet x looks. plus the planet x forks i've heard are alot stronger than most aluminum forks available.
    i got some more info, and the regular knifen isn't available anymore, only the knifen light which is 2.2 pounds. and its only available in a 435. the gusset is the same thing as the original knifen.

10. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

11. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

the kniffen light's long is 420, its what the trials kings run, and i know its still avail, because i just ordered one for a customer

12. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

13. Justin.L

Justin.L Guest

Save that one for me. Ill have money in less than a week. Probly monday.