Pedal Up vs. Bunnyhop

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by fizzmahon, Jan 4, 2006.

1. fizzmahon

fizzmahon GU Typhoon 20"

This is mostly for mod riders, but i usually do pedal ups, sure gets you up, quite high, but whenever you see the pros ride, they always do bunnyhops to get their hieght.

Do they put a little pedal kick in with the bunny hop? sometimes looks like it.

2. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

no pedal for bunnyhoping. and i'm pretty damn sure you can go a lot higher bunnyhoping then pedal uping.

3. Yoda

Yoda They see me rollin'

I can't bunnyhop to save my life and I can pedal up way higher than bunnyhop (stock bike)

4. carnagr

carnagr New Member

Pedal upping is meant for when you don't have a big run up. Bunnyhopping works better if you have some run up (about 3 pedal strokes). Although pedal upping is a lot more stylish.

5. Soapster887

Soapster887 The J-man

i can bunnyhop wayyyyyyyyyyy higher than i can pedal up. but that said in places where there is not very much run up bunyhoping becomes useless

6. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

all you need is a half pedal for bunnyhoping. i know you can go bogger with more run up but you can do them with half a pedal strock. Ros dose half pedal bunnyhops all the time in comps.

7. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

my bad, two posts.

8. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

I can pedal up probably 4 times higher then I can bunny hop.
    I'm a gimp when it comes to bunny hops.

9. thesixpot

thesixpot Guest

id like to know the bikes u guys ride
    i have a koxx levelboss right now and i CAN NOT bunny hop it higher than a foot or so at strain
    my old azonic ds1 i could bunnyhop 6 or 8 inches higher than a picnic table
    pedal ups are sweet i just started them really

10. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

i'm on a 05 zoo pythin long at the moment. long stocks are hard to get much hight on when your bunnyhoping.

11. dkoppric

dkoppric New Member

i just recently learned to bunnyhop my 1080 pure with relatively low bars, it takes a lot more effort on pulling the bars up. If you can get used to taking extra time lifting the front, the back follows pretty easily.

12. Anon.

Anon. Poo face

On my T-Pro (sim. geometry to the Levelboss S), I could bunnyhop 50 and a bit inches on that to back wheel, and that was after not really having known how to bunnyhop all that long. Either way, just exagerate it all more than you'd think. That's what's helped me out most with my new Zona, anyawy. Going from a fairly short bike (had FallGuy forks on that took 25mm off the wheelbase and raised the front a bit) to a long 'n' low bike was a bitch bunnyhop-wise, but it's all good for everything else.

At the moment, I can consistently pedal-up about the same as I can sometimes bunnyhop, which is the 50-52" area. Learning taps now though which make stuff a shitload easier. Having ridden BMX exclusively for the last 2 months has also meant I'm a bit stronger too, so I can throw the fucker up there a bit more readily.

EDIT: Should probably mention as well the pedal-ups and taps are all half-pedal. Not really down with the whole full-pedal shit, but ah well.

13. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Got any vids of you bunnyhoping or pedal uping 50"? thats huge.

14. Anon.

Anon. Poo face

No vids of the 50" pedal-up, sorry, just stills from someone's phone:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm filming tomorrow if it's not properly raining, so I'll try and get a pedal-up filmed.

Got a 48 or 49" bunnyhop on my T-Pro on my computer somewhere, can upload it for you somewhere in a sec...

Eengo link: http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/bike-trials/bunnyhop_awwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.wmv Apologies about the vid - shit quality, and it's only about 46" or so at that point. Over 10 months old though, in my defence :p

15. fizzmahon

fizzmahon GU Typhoon 20"

Dude, thats nuts.

16. Mat_P

Mat_P harblicious

i gots 2 learn me this shit...i think i can pedal up something about knee height :-S
    but i dont have a bash guard on my bike and i dont want to smash my disc if i slip off...so once i get my new bike imah try some bigger shit.

17. Anon.

Anon. Poo face

Sorry for post-whoring...

Found a vid of a pedal-up to backwheel:

[​IMG]

Click that, if that works... Uuuuuuuuuuuuber low qual. Worst cameraphone ever...

EDIT: Shit the bed, that worked as planned :eek:

18. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

nice riding, you've got skillz.

19. fizzmahon

fizzmahon GU Typhoon 20"

Thats insane. What do you find you use more, bunny hop or pedal up. Guys i have an Echo Team '03 1003mm wheelbase, and my GU 20" 1025mm +60bb just arived :D:D:D but is it harder to pedal up on a higher bb and longer wheelbase?

20. Anon.

Anon. Poo face

Pedal up by far. With the higher BB, I've found I almost have slightly less 'feel' for how the bunnyhops going. Let's just say on the T-Pro I didn't once plough the front wheel straight into whatever I was hopping up, but with the Zip I have :p

I haven't found much of a difference for pedal-ups with my bike. It taps easier and more readily, but that's it really. Starting to get taps more and more now, which is fun :)