Pedal up to front wheel?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Oct 26, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Are there any video's of this? I sometimes find myself doing this when I up to a moderate high ledge. I end up using my arms, and my front end comes down, and I ended up landing both wheels at the same time, and occasionally front wheel 1st. Like I was pedal upping to front wheel, and modulating the brake to get completely on the ledge, like you would for a front wheel gap/up....

I guess it's cause I've been practicing alot of front wheel stuff lately...but are there any videos of people doing this? or did I inadvertently come up with something? :hsugh:

2. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

Watch the Vincent-Rocks video on BikeTrials.com. It's the video of him from the Colorado Springs Competition. He does a pedal up to front right in the beginning. Thats what Im watching over and over to get the motions down.

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

well see, he kinda does a little pedal kick to get to it. I'm talking like you'de do a pedal up to a ledge or rock, instead of stopping like he did, just keep moving.

Or in my situation, from a dead stop badfoot-goodfoot-up. Then instead of the typical to rear, you'de push your front foreward/down and land front wheel first....

4. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

oicdn, i think i did a couple in a video i put out earlier, Just Another Day.

5. Ross

Ross New Member

Have you seen mike schiavone's just another day video. He does a few large ups to loading docks at the beginning and I think that is what you are talking about. You should check that out.

6. JK

JK New Member

Giacomo Coustellier is really good at this move. Also, LeeShiMing, and of course Vincent. Look at:

echovideo-18 at 6:35 he does a nice one.

Another variation of this move that you might want to learn (because it looks much smoother) is where instead of pedal kicking before going to front wheel, do a little half pedal manual.

Knowing how to do static sidehops to front wheel at least handle height really helps for this move. The one in the echovideo-18 can be done just as easily static.

7. oicdn

oicdn Guest

where are those vids at? I don't wanna DL a 1000000000mb vid just to see a clip of somebody doing it right. Mike, where's a link to your vid????

8. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

The move in the echo video is the move you don't want to see, it's the pedalup-to-pedalkick-to-front move, which doesn't have a name yet haha. Download the video anyways, it's really really good, but it doesn't have the move you want.

Anyways, the move you're talking about, pedal up to front, is basically that. At first you have to consiously move your body forward, and down when your front wheel gets on the ledge. With time and practice it will get more natural, but when first starting out it's gonna be a pretty new feeling you have to get used to when you go to front wheel from a pedal up.

Here's a link to the thread with mike's video:
    https://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthread.php?t=8154

It's possible to go really really big with this move. Local wonder Trevor Bodogh can do it huge, 4 feet. Here's a little clip to show it.
    http://www.trials-shack.co.uk/romanr/4footup.mpg

Marc Caisso rules at this move too. You can see it in the Les Gets worlds video from nopogo. Another video from 2003, which I don't think got posted (I found it on some french mototrials magazine site), featuring the Metabief comp shows Marc doing the move.

9. oicdn

oicdn Guest

The move trevor did was exactly what I did...my rear didn't make it all the way, but I noticed when I did do it that way, I could get like 1/2 foot higher....I'm definitly not as smooth/nonchalant doing it as he is though....

It's definitly something nice to have that came a little by accident/naturally....

10. digby

digby New Member

mikeschiavone - how do you do those ups? Can you explain it. That 1st loading dock scene was pretty amazing.

11. mikeschiavone

i can try to. how high are you getting? what technique are you using? gear? can you hop straight up to front? do you know how to shift your weight/rotate your hips midair?

12. KoxxLevelRider

KoxxLevelRider Member

watch the video Tripod with phil williams...it was part of that t-f.com video competition....john blundell does a few of them where he 2 pedals a wall, lands on his front wheel, then hops around on it

13. JK

JK New Member

I have seen Trevor go larger than four feet with this move. More like 52-53 inches. It's actually a pedal up to both wheels. I would say a pedal up to front wheel would be just that... to front wheel, but whatever... Anyways, on the larger ones your back wheel catches just above the bashring. You have to get your weight forward so you don't slip down to bash. I honestly don't have a clue how Trevor does then so huge, but I know he uses a really light gear and all the power is in the final half pedal stroke.

14. digby

digby New Member

Well, I havent tried normal pedal ups in quite a while, just been tapping, but I can tap about elbow high now and i'm 5'10''. When I was doing pedal ups all the time, probably could do a few inchs over bar for a both wheel pedal up. But I do like how you pretty much doing a pedal up to front wheel.

I use the same technique as trevor, a 18/15 gear, can hop straight up to front, from back wheel, never really tried it from a pedal up, know how to shift my weight/rotate. I just have a bit of trouble somtimes committing to getting my weight far enough over the front of my bike so that my front tire grips instead of slides, mixing it in with a pedal up just seems odd to me.

15. netto

netto New Member

16. mikeschiavone

digby, it sounds like you know what your doin then? just trust yourself and lean forward. aim for the corner of the ledge. as soon as my front wheel leaves the ground, im on the front brake HARD. in the vid, those loading docks werent too high so i wasnt using my front brake too much. for somthing around 4 feet, just incorporate the body/tucking movements of a bunnyhop with a pedal up.

17. digby

digby New Member

I think thats what i'm missing, usually I wait till i'm up there before I start with the brake, but you have it locked and aim for the corner. I think I roll it and the majority of the time aim for the top, which is probably why I dont get enough grip for the front wheel..

nice video though, youre pretty smooth.