Pedal up pedaling and mechanics....

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Mar 16, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

It's kinda hard to tell from the videos, but which foot do you start to "effectively" pedal to pedal-up? Like which foot starts the pedaling, your good or bad foot? I'm having problems wondering if it's a 360 degree crank rotation(start and end with your good foot) or just a 180(start with bad foot, end with the good foot).

After I figure that out, I should be good to go, I think:ugh: . Getting off the ground is a different story, LOL! I can pedal-kick UP like 12-15 inches. Well, however high 2 pallets on a curb is...I stopped, got on my rear and pedal-kicked up onto the two pallets on the curb. Not to shabby for only knowing how to pedal kick a little over a week :greddy: :bigthumb: . But....I can't pedal-up even a curb. Hell, I'm lucky if I get off the ground :rofl:

The mechanics of it all are screwing me. Which foot to start with, when and if I pedal hard when my good foot comes around, hop up or more foreward, should I lunge the bike in front of me, etc..... It feels like I'm manualing, then trying to hop, all while pedaling....like, it doesn't feel anything like a pedal kick in terms of body and bike movement, which it should right? :ugh2: If I do get off the ground, the front comes down, and my front wheel lands before my back does......fuckin ghey. :greddy:

2. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Some people might disagree, but I think its all about speed. I have had luck with sometimes even just a little pedal crank. If you've got speed, just lift the front up, if you're slower, do a bad foot first 180 crank. Its just whatever gets the front up with your good foot forward. Once its up just lean forward and yank the back up (sometimes some front breaking helps). Theres a good vid here (although this is just a pedal up and from the sounds of ur post u want the whole bike off the ground?)http://www.trials-online.com/video/basic_rideup.mov

3. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

The final pedal up move where you actually go up, requires you to power with the bad foot and you end up with a good foot forward when the bike is standing up and you are ready to suck it up. Since you already know how to pedal kick the pedal up should come easier. Just find a wall that is somewhat slanted and just give it a go.

old Video in slow motion of me doing slap/pedal up
    http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~rchertov/upping.wmv

4. oicdn

oicdn Guest

So it's a bad foot crank to get your front off the ground. Then, as your good foot is coming through on the pedal stroke, it's basically a moving pedal kick?

I don't seem to have any power after the front is up when moving to get me to burst up onto a ledge. Maybe I just need to switch into a higher gear, but then how the fuck do you single speeded guys do it, LOL. Maybe I'm pedaling too fast for that gear...

I haven't really devoted any time to it, but the times I tried(like when I was just fuckin around with a pedal kick...just fucked around with it once or twice, no practicing) I have like no more "energy" to burst foreward onto the ledge after the front is up and I'm already moving. My front comes back down when I yank up the rear, and end up landing front tire 1st.....sketchy. Or it just comes up like 3 inches, if that. So I have to be doing something COMPLETLY wrong if I can pedal-kick up something over a foot tall.....

That video would help ALOT MORE if it weren't as choppy, but it gave me a basic idea....

5. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

The whole start with a good foot, end with good foot, is waaay harder to time right, and the extra momentum isnt really needed.

Usually a half pedal.

6. oicdn

oicdn Guest

So the starting with the bad foot is easier to time/do? I'm just having trouble figuring out that in addition to what to do when the front is up.....just treat it like a pedal kick but having to use an extra stroke to get the front up instead of leaning back/brakes?

7. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

well, if you're into the natural thing (or want to get into it) it's important to not have to use so much run up. try and do it starting with your bad foot, going to good foot and up. once you start to get to really big ups then maybe add in another 1/4 pedal stroke of the right foot (so right foot is parallel to ground and then you go to left foot and then right again).

8. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah...I'm trying to go for minimal run-up...AKA Natty/UCI.

So, the bad foot -->good foot, then up.

LOL, I sound REALLY stupid here, but is it like a pedal kick, where you're using the pedal stroke to give you a burst, or are you you just more or less bunny-hopping with your wheel up?

Maybe I shoulda phrased it that way ^^^^ to begin with, LOL!

9. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Just for now coast to the ledge with you bad foot forward. Don't go to fast as you might not have enough power to pull up. Then just start pedaling and do the up.

10. oicdn

oicdn Guest

^^ :bigthumb: I'll give it a try...I'll play with my gearing too. I pedal kick in my 3rd gear, maybe for pedal-ups, I need to be in 4th for the extra pedal power since I'm already moving.

11. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

you shouldnt really have to be changing gears for the different moves. if you see that youre out of power since youre moving, just lean back more when you pedal. keep practicing all the timing.

depending on the gear you have you'll also have more options sort of. if you have an easy gear, 22-21, you might be able to get in a full rotation from a close run-up.

12. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Dunnomy gearing in 3rd...I'll ceck it out later...but yeah, seems like I'm outta power in the handful of times I tried. Maybe I'm just anticipating a lurch foreward, so I'm leaning foreward? I dunno....we'll see...I look like a kook everytime I try though....

13. [BMF]Andy

[BMF]Andy New Member

For me it was pretty difficult to learn to start a move with my bad foot forward. If you are just attempting to learn how to pedal up something then I would suggest going: good foot, bad foot, good foot. Then once you have that down, move to starting on your bad foot. Also a pedal up is really just a bunny hop with pedaling involved to get your speed.

It didnt seem like anyone had mentioned this stuff so I thought I would throw it in for you to consider.

14. Elan

Elan steve french

pedaling depends on how high the object is and how well you haveh te technique down. ultimately you want to be able the up 6' walls with only two rotations of the crank. but when you are beginning its easier to start like 4 pedals away and get that speed and have that time to set up for the move. when i start at a long distance (anything 4 pedals on up) i start with my good foot forward.. when im trying to pretend that im good, i start with my bad foot forward and then g odirectly int othe pedal up whe nmy good foot comes around.

i hope yo ucan understand that, if not , ican probably clarify it...

15. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Practice the move over and over and over until you're ready to throw your bike at the ledge. By that time you might have a slightly better feel for the move. The mechanics of it are gonna feel wierd at first. And you WILL look like a goon until you start to get the hang of it. Shame your 3 hours away. Long damn state. Keep studying vids and analyzing the way you're doin it. Make changes.. see what works.

Stupid rain, could be time to annoy the BMXers out at the Vans park again tonight. :joshers:

16. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

17. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

I had the same problem, Oicdn, and the problem lies in trying to hop after the wheel comes up like in a lurch. To me it is nothing like a lurch, not at all. What got it for me is you don't go to rear and then jump, you jump *through* rear. I run singlespeed and here is what I do:
    1 Crouch down very low while approaching the obstacle.
    2 Jump up, and at the same time pedal your cranks around, starting bad foot, and ending good foot, as fast as you can to synchronize the bad foot rotation with the beginning of the jump, and the good foot with the END of the jump.

Lift the bike and extend my legs to the edge of the obstacle.

Think of jumping from a very low crouch, it takes a while, almost half a second to reach full extension. This is the same feeling as a japslap, except you try to fit a half pedal rotation and complete lift of the front (handlebars to hips) in that period.

18. B1105

B1105 New Member

Whats the difference between a japslap and pedal up?

19. Elan

Elan steve french

japslap, you touch teh edge of whatever you are uping, supposedly to geyt more lift. pedal up, you just pedal up..you dont touch the face of hte object at all...

20. bigd

bigd Guest

i skimmed through htose posts, but this is how i pedal up or pedal gap (same concept)

pedal up- start several feet away from the object, bad foot forward. start moving with a medium force on the bad foot, then when the good foot comes around give it a huge burst of power and throw your weight upward forcefully. pick the bike up underneath you and set the rear tire on the object. (its basically a moving pedal kick, getting the timing is the hardest part). these are really only good for upping something where more forward momentum is key, like hooks and stuff.

pedal gap- same as above, but your weight is thrown more forward, and instead of picking the bike up underneath you, you throw it out in front of you. its a moving pedal kick. these are only really good for getting loads of distance.