Pedal hops

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by maciekzw, Apr 5, 2004.

1. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Hey guys,

Here's a short video of me doing pedal hops. Keep in mind I've been trying to do this shit for a long time on my Kona, but I could never do more than 2, maybe 3 pedal hops in a row. With my new Pitbull, which i had for 3 days, I can do way more pedal hops. It's so much easier.

Just wondering if you could quickly review the video and give me some pointers on what I should do, or what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks guys.

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/bike-trials/maciek_pedal_hop.avi

2. ty

ty Guest

looks like you have the basics down, just need some more practice on the timing and such. try to bend your arms more to get the handle bars closer to your chest, that will help with balance and control, the rest is just practice

3. alexm

alexm Member

OK, i dont have too much to say since that looks quite good really.

Its all about bending your body more though. Sit over the rear tyre more, this means you will need to have confidence in your rear brake. bend your arms more too. this should all help in controlling your bike on the rear wheel.

Can you just bounce in the one spot without kicking? i know thats what i learnt first because i couldnt comprehend how to let go of the brake lever and kick a fraction of a second later. if you learn to do this, and incorporate your pedal kicking abilities you should be able to stay on the rear wheel as long as you like.

Alex

4. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Hey Alex,

I was actually thinking of that the other day. I think that's what I'll try to work on more than pedal kicks. I find with this new bike, I can bounce in one spot longer. I could probably do it for 5 seconds, maybe little bit longer. I've also tried turning as I'm bouncing in one spot but that seemed really hard at this point. It almost seems like pedal kicks are easier than bouncing in one spot... :dunno:

5. Lagerhead

Lagerhead New Member

I've also tried turning as I'm bouncing in one spot but that seemed really hard at this point. (Quote)

The trick to turning (for me) is to push the handlebar in the direction you want to turn. I'm left foot forward and I prefer to turn to the right, so while I'm hopping on the rear wheel, I push with my left arm and pull with my right arm. You're not turning the bars as much as you are pushing the bars to turn the whole bike while it's in the air..
    When I first tried this, I was trying to rotate the bike with my feet/legs/hips, that does nothing but help you learn how to heal. It's all in the arms

6. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

when i want to rotate on the rear i just turn my bars and it just happens :?

i don't even remember learning how to do it, only asking the question on BT.com.

7. onza_tpro

onza_tpro Guest

pretty good but try to make it more skilled like try going a little bit slower , because it looks like your rushing.
    but nice one like ur bike to

8. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Hey Lagerhead, I'm exact same as you. I'm left foot forward. I'll try pushing on the handle bars next time I practice bouncing.

You guys are right, I am rushing it a little bit. I practiced to just bounce in one spot last night and today and I was able to stay on the back for about 40 seconds. My new record! :bigthumb: But I was still kinda all over the place. My pedal hops are getting better tho. I've been practicing for an hour every day since I got the bike (4 days now). My hands are sore, but it's worth it.

I've watched the video of myself bouncing on my back wheel and I noticed that my arms tend to be totally straight sometimes. This helps me to just hold the bike in one spot without even hoping, but just for a second or 2. I tried boucing with my arms bent, as you guys mentioned. It seems hard, but I guess I just have to practice :bigthumb:

9. alexm

alexm Member

i like your attitude dude :)

10. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Thanks! It's mainly because I got my new bike, and it helped me so much already. And you guys are awsome. Thanks for all the tips.

Would any of you know how I can get Bill to host one of my videos on his website? I wanna show you the one of me bouncing in one spot so you guys can give me more tips and let me know what I'm doing wrong.

11. Elan

Elan steve french

email or pm him...he is literally ALWAYS onlne...

12. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

bend your arms, bend your legs, keep your back straight. do what you see in videos. in no time your backhopping will be ten times easier. :bigthumb:

13. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Cool vid actually. I'm still learning to control my pedal kick & rear hop but it's good to see how other riders do it. Like others have said definitely the body motion & being more 'bent' is the key...gonna go ride in few minutes :bigthumb:

14. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Ever since I got my Pitbull, I've been practicing veryday for at least an hour and I found it helps so much. I watch as many videos as possible just to see how other riders do it as well (like one of you guys said). Thing is tho, a lot of these videos on this website are of really good riders and I have to watch it over and over and slow it down cuz they do everything so freakin' quick! :eek:

By the way, here's the link for my "pracitice" video.
    Please let me know what I'm doing wrong and what I should focus on the most.

Thanks in advance!

http://videos.observedtrials.net/hosted/Maciek_practicing_bouncing.avi