Pallets

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by porky, Jul 5, 2011.

1. porky

porky New Member

Hey all,

Gonna be getting my first trial bike *edit* (after a 6 year hiatus) *edit* in about a month & am really excited! I saw a couple of videos of practises being done with pallets & tires & thought of doing the same for myself @ this little space I've got behind where I live.

Question, do you guys use wood glue to stick the pallets together or do you guys nail it together? I'm afraid the pallets might slip when I'm trying to get up.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. Garthe

Garthe Lower than a noob

3. Jitters

Jitters One Trick Pony

Wood screws?
    I dunno, just thinking out loud. Seriously? Search.
    You could prolly get away with learning without bolting anytyhing together for some time. Go get 'em!

4. BigFoot4300

BigFoot4300 Its a jeep thing.

5. literocola

literocola Well-Known Member

X2

:bowrofl: @ glue

6. ateam

ateam Old Man, Poser, Newbie, "Huba Huba"

Wood screws and a cordless screw gun. Easy to remove, rearrange and re-ride.

7. porky

porky New Member

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Really excited to build the pallets before getting the bike. Do you think 4 pallets would be great to start off? Think it should be a good height to practise! :)

Hopefully get a couple of video up for comments & help. :D

8. treewizzard

treewizzard draquella is back!

make sure to get wood-specific straps if thats the way you go

9. ateam

Example

Attached Files:

10. eaterofdog

eaterofdog Two dollars... cash

Ratcheting tie downs and drywall screws.

11. IndianaTrials

IndianaTrials New Member

Tie downs do not work, end of story. screws are the only way to go, get 2 inch drywall screws as they have threads all the way to the head.

12. eaterofdog

eaterofdog Two dollars... cash

You're doing it wrong. Tie downs are to bind together stacks of screwed together pallets. This also makes a nice heavy object that doesn't move.

13. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

14. porky

porky New Member

Thanks for the replies guys! Think I'll use wood screws first & tie downs to secure it properly. Last thing I'd want is to have it slip & injuring myself even before a week of mileage on the bike. Gonna go hunt for pallets around Ikea or behind supermarts later! Hehe.

@ateam Your set up looks sick! What I'd kill for a space like that around my place! Did you take long to build all of that?

15. ateam

16. porky

porky New Member

Will do. Maybe a trip down to the hardware store for some supplies too.

It's gonna suck if after putting in time & effort making my First ever stacked pallet, the cleaner comes & throw it away. Boy.

Will post pictures of progress, wish me luck! ^^v

17. literocola

literocola Well-Known Member

This is my old set up before I moved out of middle of nowhere Colorado.

Had to make some adjustments to the course, had a friend over who is strict urban rider, not a trials, so he needed a run. We had the rail.

I miss my course. :(

[​IMG]

18. syphon6wy

syphon6wy New Member

if you plan on leaving it outside very long go with 2" gold screws instead of drywall screws. Reason being is that drywall screws are just parkerized and oiled to prevent rust initially until it can be used in drywall, but if exposed to weather the oil will rinse off and the screw will rust and break in short order. Plus the gold screws are threaded all the way to the head if you get the shorter ones.

19. porky

porky New Member

@literocola Digging the balance beams man. But won't the single pallet on the left there be prone to shifting about?

@syphon6wy I intend to leave it out in the sun, @ the back area near my compound. Didn't consider wear & tear, but that's a point to remember though. Thanks!

Anyone here attaches bricks to the bottom of the pallet to make it more stable? Was thinking of lying the bottom of the pallet with a couple of bricks so that there'll be no unnecessary movement. Super glue it or something like that.