Pains associated with trials?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialspads, Feb 27, 2004.

1. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

I think it's normal to have stiff back, legs, etc...but lately my wrist has been bothering me. Especially after I practice side hopping and pedal kicking.

Am I doing something wrong? Do you guys have certain areas that bother you in particular? I do warm up, stretch and bend and just cruise around a bit before doing anything.

Sometimes I'm ok...but other times I feel like I broke my body after a ride :yum:

2. silus2000

silus2000 New Member

My wrist is alway f'ed up, so I have to take care of it real good. One thing you can do to help is buy a neoprene strap for your wrist. It keeps it nice warm and sweaty even if you're just sitting down, and it also gives it extra support. I'm exactly sure its neoprene, but it wont be too hard to find in a sporting good store.

3. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I have NEVER had the slightest wrist pain due to trials, probably because I have a strong background in tennis, I have big hands with strong wrists. It is probably the most common problem though. I did used to get sore wrists from hard falls snowboarding, but I dont to that anymore due to bad knees.

Legs, stiff muscles should be the very last of your worries. Stretch and exercise them. The pain is very temporary and no damage is occuring.

Back pain is very common. I already have a week back so lower back pain is unavoidable for me with trials. I see a chiropracter once a week during riding season. $12 per session and you come out feeling great!

Knees is my main worry, I have Osgood Schlatters Disease to blame for that. Its been getting better in the last 6 monthes or so, I'm confident in a full 2004 season.

4. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Ahh...Body aches...my arch nemesis. Broke my ankle skateboarding 3 times...doc told me to stop cause it kept breaking in the same place...so I started skimboarding thinking it was like skating on water, water=buffer...yeah right. A 360 Big Spin when going over a wave broke this tiny bone about the size of a bean in my wrist when I landed back in the water cause the water was going out and was SHALLOW., The bone that connects your thumb to your wrist, the reason we have opposeable thumbs.

What does all this have to do with riding pain? When the weather changes, those joints hurt. Riding trials makes those things worse as your ankles and wrists are what you use most...I get done riding and I have the normal torso and leg soreness, but nothing to cry about. But those joints hurt somewhat annoyingly and are stiff the next day if I fucked up and landed hard or rolled my ankle or something...... :greddy2: but eh, I don't think you're doing anything wrong...but only if you've already had prior injuries in those areas. Otherwise, you might just be getting into shape :rofl:

5. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

I had bad wrists for over a year, then I got wider handle bars, ran a little less pressure in my tires, and got new grips that are a little bulky, but give alot of shock absorption www. extremesteering.com . Trust me these grips will help with the pain. I was wearing the neoprene braces for a long time, but what really helped was riding more often it really helped strengthen my wrists.

6. trialspads

Yeah lower back pain is horrible. Once I felt my right leg bone crush together with my hip when I shifted my back toward the rear...I couldn't believe the pain :eek3:

Chriopractor is definitely a good choice...but it's so hard to find a good one around here.

I'll definitely try wearing the wrist support...I need to train more on my forearms and wrist. My lower body hardly ever becomes sore but my upper kills me sometimes after four hours of riding...ahhh trials :drool:

7. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Lucky the wrist and forarm is about the easyest thing possible to train. Sit down with your knees at 90deg, rest your elbows and lower arm on your legs with only wrists and hands over the knee, palms facing up, grap something heavy and begin curling it with only the wrists bending. After two sessions you should see and feel physical difference.

Swimming is the only practical way of training the back. Otherwise you need weird and wonderful contraption and specialized exercises, anyone done those?

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Become younger.

9. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

Wrists killed me...until I got my bars set up correctly. Had them too far forward had to turn them back a little.

10. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

1) set up bars good - play around and see what works.
    2) let some air out of your tire, just enough so you can feel a bit of bounce when on flat ground.
    3) buy thick soft grips - i ran ODI longnecks for the longest time, no wrist pain. sold my grips with my XC bike and got some free poo echo grips that are hard and thin, now i can't ride for 20 minutes without hurting my wrists real bad. can't wait until i can afford some longnecks again...

11. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

I always had problems with my right knee. Now its worse with trials. After 2 long days trials in a row it really hurts for about 2 or more days.

Even though i have the teeniest wrists ever they dont make me problems yet.
    Lately my left forearm muscle is starting to make problems too :rant2: (pretty much all muskles in my left forearm, look at the pic)
    I think it comes from Pedalkicks. I pedalkick with the left foot (my good foot) so my left arme has to hold the bar against the pedalkick. So due to "left chocolate foot" my entire left arm is pretty much screwed up, my right arm has no problems at all.
    I wish i could change the "good foot" whenever i wanted so that i could spread the trials abuse on both arms and legs instead of abusing always the same arm/leg.

[​IMG]

12. oicdn

oicdn Guest

You can, but it'll prolly take an ass-ton of time to accustom yourself to it. Kinda like how you're REALLY comfortable spinnin/pivoting in one direction, it took awhile to get decently comfortable/looking going the other way...although, prolly a little harder, LOL!

13. trialspads

I did hear a lot of guys who ride XC that carbon fiber based handlebars absorb a lot of shock? I don't know if there are any good brand for trials but I'll give the thicker grip a try...I was using OURY for awhile but I think it was a bit too think for my hands.

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Cheapest way to absorb shock, completely free - push that little valve on your tire.

15. oicdn

oicdn Guest

LOL! Yeah....my tires are run at like 16 psi....I have little white lines all over them from the tire folding/cringing from stopping/endo hops

16. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

thats a clear sign that you A. Need better tires, B. Need to run more pressure or C. Need to stop riding in chalk.

17. silus2000

silus2000 New Member

Yea, I cant even put my front tire on rocks they're so flat. But thanks for the advice on the ODI longnecks...just ordered them.

By the way, how long is it gonna take you to afford some 10 dollar grips??

18. Pancho

Pancho Member

Ditto on what Mike said, the grips from extremesteering.com will help your wrists. Mine aren't that bad yet, so I don't run them, but I fear that even at 18 years old my body is falling apart.

My wrists only bother me if I haven't been riding for a while. If I take a week off, then hop back on, I have all sorts of pain. After three or four days of riding straight the pain is completely gone.

19. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

heh, I think we can conclude that trials is very rigerous on the body.

Anybody have serious injuries from trials? I ripped up my shin pretty good, 26 stiches, but never any real serious injuries. But holy fuck did I make up for that in my snowboarding days.

20. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

they cost thirty five bucks over here :ugh: